Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Outlook Express Crash  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Outlook Express Crash
« on: November 29, 2002, 09:23 »
Each time my wife tries to download her e-mail via Outlook Express her computer freezes up and the only answer is to pull the plug out and let it go through scandisk.  I've run all the usual checks including Norton's Utilities, scanned for viruses, trojans, emptied her temporary internet files but to no avail.  I seem to remember that there is a method of repairing this programme but can't find out how to do it.  If anyone has any suggestions on this can you please let me know?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Re:Outlook Express Crash
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 12:47 »
Try add/remove programs in Control Panel.  Click to Add/Remove Outlook Express (Or Internet Explorer if it came bundled with that).  Should then be an option to repair it.

Can't try it myself at the moment - but seem to remember its something like that.

Ta

DJ1UK

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 15:14 »
Thanks for that DJ1UK.  I tried that but it was still the same.  What I then did was to download MailWasher onto her machine because I knew she had 8 e-mails waiting to come in.  The first 4 mails were spam so I deleted them from the server and the rest came in no problem after that.  I can only assume that one of the mails I deleted must have been causing Outlook Express to crash.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 20:20 »
Clive, if you removed OE and re-installed it, don't forget to re-apply all those Windows Update patches.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 17:19 »
Clive I have just had the same problem, first wiff of trouble was when I recieved a confirmation of payment taken from my ISP [Plusnet]The whole system froze, only way out cold boot.

Anyway Plusnet always send me confirmation emails twice, one using my email address with them and one with my Freeserve email address. Sure enough as the second email attempted to come in the system locked up again, just got the busy hour glass. I noticed the OE envelope in the tool bar was white and opened with a blue tip on the top of the open flap.

Anyway as I had experianced the prob when the first Plusnet email arrived I guessed this incoming was theirs as well. So I rang them and they removed it their end, and everything was fine.

Unlike you I could not delete anything as I just locked up. So for anyone finding themselves in the same predicament I suppose it is best to ring your ISP and ask them to remove the hanging emails from your box if that is the case.

Would you like to comment Adept, the Tech guy at Plusnet reckoned it could have been a corrupted header.

Catch

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 17:37 »
Better still, Catch, use Mail Washer[/b] to view your incoming mail on the server before you download it.  You can then delete stuff yourself, and save the bother of phoning your ISP.   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 18:01 »
You beat me to it Simon.  I was just about to say that too.   ;D  MailWasher is a very useful piece of software.

Adept

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2002, 18:35 »

Would you like to comment Adept, the Tech guy at Plusnet reckoned it could have been a corrupted header.

I suppose it's possible that a malformed header makes OE crash ;)

It's equally likely the PlusNet Bob couldn't think of a proper reason  ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 20:00 »
Cheers lads,

Mmmmmmmmm Mailwasher does sound handy, sold to the guy sat in front of my monitor, point me in the right direction  [idle or what] ::)I take it it is free. ;D

This really is a handy forum, as you may have noticed I'm not into gossiping on forums much, this is the only one I visit. I've nothing against gossiping understand, no offence ment to you washerwomen  ;D  just not my bag.

catch.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2002, 20:06 »
Catch, click the link in my post above.   :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 20:09 »

This really is a handy forum, as you may have noticed I'm not into gossiping on forums much, this is the only one I visit. I've nothing against gossiping understand, no offence ment to you washerwomen  ;D  just not my bag.

Thanks Catch :-[

You just keep getting computer problems, we'll keep telling you how to fix them and we'll all be happy  ;) ;D >:D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 20:19 »
Amen to that brother!   ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum