Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Burning DVD's  (Read 3043 times)

Offline arthurb

Burning DVD's
« on: July 16, 2003, 04:42 »
I have recently installed a DVD writer in order to create better quality home movies than the VCD'S I have been making. I've been using Pinnacle Express  ;D, which I find very user friendly. However, can anybody advise me as to how I should save any DVD created? For example, once the DVD is burned should I then just copy from disc to disc or should I save all the files etc on my pc  ??? remembering that this takes up almost 5GB per movie. The latter doesn't seem to speed up the process of actual burning as I thought it might.
Any tips from more experienced DVD creators would be gratefully received.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Burning DVD's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 13:34 »
You will find that you soon fill up your hard drive if you save full DVDs on it Arthur.
I would be tempted to burn them to DVD seeing as you have bought the writer to do it with  :)
This would also have the advantage of storing your home movies in a safer place than on your hard drive in case of something going wrong at a later date with the PC  :-*

Offline arthurb

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 05:01 »
Sandra, I do burn to disc but haven't tried making copies from disc to disc. Is this how one should manage dvd files? I assume that it's as straight forward as copying cd to cd! Once I've got my system back to normal (re: Unable to load OS to new HDD),I'll obviously try this. My thinking was that if the files were already on the hdd this would speed up the burn process considerably.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 10:49 »
hi arthur b

i'd be tempted to make two copies of each dvd, one as backup (if you can afford to).  as sandra says even the biggest hard drives currently available would fill up very quickly.

i do burn svcd's and i havent noticed any increase in the speed of the process by having the files stored on the hard drive.

:)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 13:18 »
Nero will let you burn DVDs on the fly, e.g.not copying an image to the hard drive, the speed that a DVD writter can copy and the speed of the reader are the deciding factors with the reader reading datt at four time the write speed about right, if in doubt always copy the image to the hard drive first you can always delete it later

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum