Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB Ports  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
USB Ports
« on: December 08, 2002, 11:06 »
HI Adept or any other clued up member,

I have got a USB query, on my Suntek PC case there are two front USB ports. Unfortunately the cable does not reach to my motherboard USB connector block [short by a couple of inches, and as such have left it unconnected. Anyway as I have ordered a digital camera, I was thinking of extending the cables to make the front USB ports usable, and I have a couple of questions.

The answer appears straight forward but I thought I best ask and make sure.

The JUSB2 pinheader on my MSI MOBO for connecting the USB ports cable to is labelled thus;

Pin          Signal             Pin          Signal
1.         USBPWR               2          USBPWR
3          USB2-                4          USB3-
5          USB2+                6          USB3+
7          GND                  8          GND
9          NC                  10          USBOC

Now the cable that connects to the two USB ports on the front of the case are labelled thus;

There are two cables that end in a ten-pin connector at the USB ports end [pin 9 is NC]

At the Mobo end of the twin cables it is thus; one three pin connector labelled VCC: D2-:D2+: and a single connector labelled GND: The second cable is the same only D2-/D2+ are labelled D3-/D3+

Am I right in thinking the cable labelled VCC/D2-/D2+ connects to pins 1/3/5 with the GND connecting to pin 7. And the same for the other cable only on pins 2/4/6/8.  

Well I am going to take the Grandson to see Santa now, and hope someone will have an answer for me on my return  :-*

Thanks

catch
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:USB Ports
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2002, 11:30 »
Morning Catch.. how was father xmas  ;D.

Anyway I had a USB problem awhile back and found this site very interesting under here

Hookstar

Edited by Simon to enable link[/i]

Adept

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2002, 11:31 »
Yup, sounds right to me Catch  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2002, 13:17 »
Cheers lads,

thanks for the replies and advice, I'll go dig some cable out of the garage and get on with it.

Santa was fine, he thought me and the Wife were our three year old grandsons Mum and Dad. Funny he did not look senial to me  ;D no he obviously knows what buttons to press, the Wife came away happier than the Grandson.

The Grandson's at that 'why' to everything stage, all the way back in the car why, why ,why. Anyway on pulling up on the driveway he was asleep, and the Wife said to me, should she leave him asleep in the car for a while? To which I replied, best to let sleeping why's lie  ;D

catch

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2002, 20:04 »
Well I sorted it with a bit of burglar alarm cable, it had all the right colours too  ;D

Mind you it was a bit of a fiddle, the ground [black wires] were welded to the screen wire also the other soldered connections where a bit to close to the screen wire for my liking. This was because I could not unsolder the wires where they went into the connectors, they must be done by machine, or very tiny China men with bloody good eye sight  ;D So I had to solder in a three inch length between were it left the screen behind and prior to the connector terminals, but it works that the main thing.

catch

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 20:13 »
Well I sorted it with a bit of burglar alarm cable, it had all the right colours too  ;D

They won't nick that in hurry, then.   ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 00:07 »
Nice one rodders ;D

catch

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum