Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Working from home  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Working from home
« on: December 06, 2002, 16:55 »
This might be text book stuff to some, but not to me, so perhaps someone could explain this to me:

A friend works for a big bank, but in one of their computer centres,  and he wants to get a PC for home, which he wants to be able to use on the bank's own network, to enable him to 'work from home'.  How would he achieve this?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Working from home
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 17:05 »
Isn't it simply a case of logging into the bank's website?  My wife works for the National College of School Leadership from home and just uses her ID and password to access it.  Obviously a bank website will be much more secure than a college but surely it must be similar?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 17:23 »
This does kind of beg the question, "How did he get a job in their datacentre, when he can't figure out a Homeworking connection?"

I would imagine that if he's of sufficient status within the organisation, they'll provide him with a secure home connection as a matter of course.  If he's not, then he should put forward a strong case supporting his request and present this through his departmental manager, who might then take the steps necessary to put it on track for consideration by the bank's Security / Network / Procurement departments (budget permitting).

I would be very surprised if they allowed him to use a machine he's bought himself to interface with the bank's systems and there is a major security issue here, Simon!  How well do you know this guy?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 17:46 »
He's actually one of my best friends, I've known him for more than 20 years, and used to work with him in the same bank.

The job he does does not involve accessing people's bank accounts, and, yes, if he were to be authorised to work from home, the bank's IT dept would obviously set it all up for him.

The question was more for my own benefit, and perhaps I should have generalised it, rather than posing a specific scenario, but I was merely asking how one would set up their home PC to utilise their company network, in order to work from home.

I think Clive has probably given the answer.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2002, 17:56 »
An easy way to do it would be to use an FTP server and for whoever had the server to allow access to which people they wanted to be able to log on with a password to the parts of the server that they needed access to.
A friend of mine has set one up and allowed me full access when I log on to all the files he has on it and hes restricted a specific folder for another friend to be able to get files etc. from me if I upload stuff to his site  ;)

Adept

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 20:08 »
They'll probably use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) Simon.

I've setup this kind of system for a few of my clients and I also get into my servers at work using a VPN.

What it does is create a "secure tunnel" between the client and server PC across the Internet. To the client PC, it appears as though it was connected to the network except, of course, much slower. With an ADSL line (or ISDN at a push), you can read your email, work on documents etc. as if you were sat in front of your work PC.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 20:33 »
Thanks, Adept - that sounds like the sort of thing that would suit.  He should be able to get ADSL from home.   :)

Adept

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 20:42 »

He should be able to get ADSL from home.   :)

Huh >:(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum