Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Big Problem with Dynamic IPs  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
The Big Problem with Dynamic IPs
« on: September 12, 2003, 15:58 »
I got stuck with a dsl modem awhile back and it was free with the dsl service. Sbc stuck me with a dynamic ip address so i cant put up a ftp like i would otherwise. I have a wireless linksys router and it has a port forwarding option. Im attempting to set up a ftp using no-ip.com but its not working so well. As far as i see ive gotten everything besides the port forwarding part down. The software works and it shifts IPs every 20 secs. But my problem is i cant use it. Im positive its the portforwarding that screwing up on the router but i can't seem to figure it out.

If i didn't explain it well enough heres the guy at no ip explaining the same senario.

http://no-ip.com/tips.php/id/3

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:The Big Problem with Dynamic IPs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 16:04 »
Hi Bob and  :welcome:  One of our techies will be here to answer your problem shortly.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 16:20 »
Hi Bob, Have you tried accessing it from another PC thats not on your LAN as it says in that article :

When testing your webserver, the external IP address may not work from inside your local network. Consider having a friend on a different network connection bringing up your website.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 16:32 »
you might have something there. the problem is most of my friends are at work right now. mmmm.
try this
ftp://bob:bob@bobscrachy.redirctme.net

tell me if you get anything

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 16:36 »
Sorry Bob "Server address not resolved", still it was worth a try  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 16:47 »
Have you got open permissions to allow anyone to access your FTP site Bob as I get that message on username/password protected sites that I have visited  ???

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 17:01 »
well, lets give it another try, i screwed with the permissions and gave you full access you were only on guest before. Im not sure if this will matter much, but like you said its worth a try.

Don't fret if we don't get it to working today, im sure to keep at it until i get it working correctly and then ill post the solution to help anyone that might have the same problem

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 17:25 »
Sorry Bob still same message  ???

I hope we can get it sorted as I want to set a sever up using No IP too, sometime in the near furure, as mines a dynamic IP too although it is a "sticky" one and hasnt changed since I got ADSL about 15 months ago :doggie:

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 18:16 »
I just clicked on the link and outlook express launched  :)
Was it supposed to do that  ???
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 18:32 »
No GK you need to copy and paste the full url into the browser to try it.
I tried to edit it to correct it by adding the tags at either end but that didnt work the same way as it does for HTTP sites  ???

Adept

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 20:30 »
Hi Bobscrachy :welcome:

I just pinged your domain and that seems to be responding. So it means that the dynamic DNS bit is working OK.

So the problem must lie in the port redirection on the router.

If I understand it correctly (I've used port redirection a few times) you need to set the router up so that all traffic to port 21 (FTP) is sent to the local address of your ftp server. So if your FTP server is on the local address 192.168.0.2 you would set a port redirection of port 21 to address 192.168.0.2. I'm sure you know all of that ;)

The only reason I can think of to make it go wrong is if the router or the FTP server have a firewall which blocks port 21. If the FTP server PC is running Windows XP, make sure that the built-in Windows firewall isn't blocking that port :)

Hope this helps.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 01:41 »
well heres the deal. Im using warftp. and ive set the server up before and its on a win98 machine. I knew the domain worked. The problem was i tryed the port forwarding on my router. I thought i the port forwarding right but i have no idea if i did or not because i haven't had any experiance on forwarding. I see a load of options and i have no idea which option does what. I guess im going to half to dive deep into the user manual to see wth im doing wrong.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003, 01:56 »
Not sure if this will help Bob but according to this :

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

It suggests that FTP servers run on port 23 and HTTP on 80, not both on 80  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2003, 02:19 »
Found this as well Bob, I read somewhere that you use the same port number in both parts of the port forwarding page :doggie:

http://www.e-league.com/linksys.htm

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2003, 02:56 »
yea i found this site, its for gaming with a dynamic ip. the problem with this is it screwed up my net browsing so i couldn't go to my forum. I turned off the settings i set from this page and things returned to normal. This page seems to be for hosting games though. Im not sure if theres a big difference but it still didn't alow my ftp to work.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum