Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Big Problem with Dynamic IPs  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Re:The Big Problem with Dynamic IPs
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2003, 03:17 »
you know i may be shooting in the dark, but i wonder if trying to do this on a wireless router is the problem?.....

Adept

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2003, 09:07 »
Sandra. Not sure where you got the info about port 23 for ftp. 23 is used for Telnet.

FTP is definately and port 21. I have a feeling that port 20 is also used by the server, but I'm not sure what for.

If that Linksys web site shows the same screens as Bob's router the forwarding should be set up as:-

Ext Port
20 to 20

Protocol TCP
checked

Protocol UDP
unchecked

IP address
The internal IP address of the FTP machine

Enable
Checked

Not sure where all that empty space came from :o That's what happens when you try and be fancy and use tables ::)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2003, 16:35 »
from what i understand is that the dmz host is suppose to put the ip number you select as the receiver for all the ports while at the same time giving up security by being outside the routers firewall. I tried doing this just to see if as a last option i could get the server to work and to check weither or not it was a port problem.... Guess the answer. It still doesn't work. Which leads me to think either theres some unknown option im over looking that would prevent the router from doing what i ask it to do or theres a problem with the software in either the ftp or the no-ip progs. But then again theres always the thought that it might be something with the wireless connection. mysteries????? im going to put a ftp on the comp in my other room beside the router to test if its the wireless or not. then im going to switch ftp progs if that lends no answers.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2003, 00:44 »
well it is definatly something with the router, i connected a pc directly up too the dsl modem and the ftp works fine now. I must screw more with the router to see what im doing wrong or if its just a glitch.
just thought yall might like this pic lmao, i actually own one
ftp://bob:bob@bobscrachy.redirectme.net/155781.jpg

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2003, 01:38 »
Looks nice Bob, how come it hasnt got a front number plate ?

Heres a pic of mine that I have owned since the early 1980s taken in July 2002  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 07:01 »
I couldn't view your pic Bob.  :'(

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 07:09 »
i put the router back up so i could have internet in the other room. sorry man. if u really want to see it i could put again but i want to get the router working right so i don't half to disconnect it everytime i want to move or host something.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 07:13 »
It's OK Bob, I will just worship Sandra's instead.   :lol:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2003, 05:03 »
problem solved yet another pops up.

The port forwarding and dmz host were working i just didn't know it. the no-ip soft had a box that needed to be checked to start the refreshing of the ip address.

Summary- my dumba** missed something simple.

Secondary chain-reaction problem. In my attempt to access the ftp using port forwarding i noticed it was accessing the ftp but couldn't veiw anything. So i changed it to dmz host which puts the host computer outside the router's firewall.

Conclusion the dmz host worked by letting all the ports be seen.

a friend suggested i check the box for passive ftp in the settings box in the ie settings. or use a ftp prog like cuteftp. But when i went looking for the option in my v5.0 ie it didnt show it. So i upraded, still no passive option.

Is this a flaw with 98 or a flaw with the ie upgrade. or just something really really odd with my version of 98

Adept

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2003, 09:13 »

a friend suggested i check the box for passive ftp in the settings box in the ie settings. or use a ftp prog like cuteftp. But when i went looking for the option in my v5.0 ie it didnt show it. So i upraded, still no passive option.

I don't know CuteFTP (I use SmartFTP), but usually Passive is an option in the connection settings for the FTP site. There is often a "master setting" in the preferences for the program too. SmartFTP has an toolbar button to press before connection.

As for placing your PC in the DMZ, be very careful as this will be outside of the routers firewall. You could be vulnerable to attack unless you have blocked all ports other than the FTP ones.

You might find this article and this article interesting :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2003, 18:34 »
Ive always wondered why they would come up with rules like these instead of just haveing it simplifed for the common user, guess now i know.

i know the dangers of using dmz host thats why im looking for a passive mode option in my ie. so i can use port forwarding instead of dmz host.

"a friend suggested i check the box for passive ftp in the settings box in the ie settings. or use a ftp prog like cuteftp. But when i went looking for the option in my v5.0 ie it didnt show it. So i upraded, still no passive option."

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2003, 18:42 »
Hi Bob, I dont know if this will help you or not.
I use Bluzone FTP,(now changed its name to Seagull), its free and has an enable Passive FTP option in the miscellaneous section of the properties when you add a new or edited FTP setting  :)

http://www.seagullsw.com/products/free_ftp.html

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2003, 05:52 »
the problem isn't with the ftp anymore. the problem is a Q&A about the windows internet explorer. If you check your settings look for passive mode in your ie. for some reason im fully upgraded and yet the option for passive mode isn't there. i really want passive mode for an option in the ie if i can get it just because im lazy and i don't want to switch right this moment. I mean what can i do to get passive mode on the ie if its fully upgraded? Is there a way to uninstall and fully reinstall the built in explorer of windows? Lmao, this american has caused yall so much trouble. Just so i don't sound ungrateful thank you all for your thoughts and ideas on this subject.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2003, 13:50 »
Hi Bob, do you mean that this option isnt showing on yours under Tools, Internet Options and Advanced  ???

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2003, 16:46 »
nope, im thinking its because my comp is a 98 but that isn't there ive checked many-a-time already. any suggestions on how to get it there lmao.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum