Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 87941 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2004, 21:13 »
Pah!!  I was talking about proper browsers, not IE add ons!  :wahh:  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline stoni90

« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2004, 22:44 »
Mozilla Firefox is my default. i've donwloading once just to check it out and never change it till then. it's the best. never crashed and the multitab function makes the difference.seeing that the IE hasn't changed even in Longhorn i doubt if i'm gonna use IE  with the current features it has

Offline stoni90

« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2004, 22:47 »
excuse my english i'm a little bit...hic...drunk!

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #258 on: November 21, 2004, 16:36 »
Friday I noticed in the news that Netscape are releasing a new browser based on the Firefox browser. To me that means that Firefox has reached a stage in its developement where it is poised to overtake its elder relation the Mozilla browser, as the Flagship browser. So I have decided to day to migrate to Firefox from Mozilla, and also install their stand alone mail client Thunderbird [though you can access it via Firefox]

And I like it, especially the extension install option, which at a glance tells you with plugins you have installed, plus it allows easy uninstall of plugins from within the extension window. Also on my first visit to PC Pals it automatically down loaded all the plugins I needed to view the site as intended.

So come on Simon, it's time you made the move over to Firefox as that is where all the developement will be focused in the futue

Edit: Not having the problem you have re mail client Simon, Thunderbird comes up every time via the Firefox link.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: November 21, 2004, 21:46 »
There was a reason I didn't like the Thunderbird mail client, Tony, and that is, the preferences don't appear in the about:config list of Firefox, and I couldn't find a way to access the Thunderbird preferences in the same way.  The reason being, I wanted to maintain my beige coloured background to my outgoing mail, which I had to apply to the about:config list in Mozilla, as the default options didn't contain the colour I wanted.  Also, I couldn't get Thunderbird to fire up from external 'mailto:' links.  Outlook kept appearing instead, but I think I might have a solution to that now.

I would also miss the HTML editor (Composer) in Mozilla, which is really handy for putting stuff up on eBay, so although I am aware that Firefox is an excellent step forward, and has some very nice features, on balance, I think I'll be sticking to good old Moz for now.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2004, 10:23 »

There was a reason I didn't like the Thunderbird mail client, Tony, and that is, the preferences don't appear in the about:config list of Firefox, and I couldn't find a way to access the Thunderbird preferences in the same way.  The reason being, I wanted to maintain my beige coloured background to my outgoing mail, which I had to apply to the about:config list in Mozilla, as the default options didn't contain the colour I wanted.  Also, I couldn't get Thunderbird to fire up from external 'mailto:' links.  Outlook kept appearing instead, but I think I might have a solution to that now.

I sussed the email signature setting, but never the colour setting [I use #ffffee] But it stays on the colour palete as "last used" so two clicks and its there. And I have no probs with external Mailto links either, so its a settings issue your end.

I would also miss the HTML editor (Composer) in Mozilla, which is really handy for putting stuff up on eBay, so although I am aware that Firefox is an excellent step forward, and has some very nice features, on balance, I think I'll be sticking to good old Moz for now.

There is the FrontPage HTML editor in MS Office XP Pro, not so readily to hand I admit. Anyway I use Dreamweaver for my HTML editing, so another HTML editer is not needed.

So come on, get changed over and stop fence sitting  ;D ;) :P

Edit: By the way you can add a "Mail" [amoungst overs] Icon to any of the Firefox toolbars by right clicking on any toolbar and selecting "customize"

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2004, 16:38 »
:aarrgh:  Last time I downloaded FF, and removed it, it buggered up my Mozilla profile, so I'll have to set aside some time to do it properly, as I will need to transfer all my plugins to FF, and my mail settings, and mail to TB as well.  I have to admit, I'd still prefer an 'all-in-one' suite, and it's a bloody long way down from this fence!  :P  Surely, sooner or later, FF and TB will become integrated.  I can't really see why there isn't an option to integrate them now, although I do see the advantage of them being stand alone as well.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2004, 17:08 »
Simon,

Plugins are dead easy with Firefox, you just go "Tools" >Extensions and a littlw window opens. You then hit the "Get More Extensions link" and it takes you to the Firefox extension page  once
downloaded, all plugins are viewable in that window, with a brief note saying what it does. And you can unpdate or uninstall any by opening that Extension window.

Only one I had to go looking for was the Backup Mozlla/Firefox program. Only down side is you have to back up both Firefox and Thunderbird seperately, but its no big deal, other than that issue they are intergrated in the everyday usage of them.

Ones I had at present [looking at my Extension Window  ::) ] IEview, Image Zoom, Image-show-hide, Optimoz[ show/hide sidebar]Optimoz Mouse Gestures, Dictionary, Reload,  Context Search.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2004, 17:30 »
Simon you will just have to look at the "EasyGestures" plugin, once it is in the Extension window, highlite the program, hit the Options button then the Actions tab, you'll be amazed at the programability of  this little gizmo.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #264 on: November 22, 2004, 17:47 »
OK Simon, I think I have got a fix for the mail background colour issue.[ not tried it yet ]

I posted a query on the Firefox/Thunderbird forum @ 3.31pm and got this answer back at 3.36pm , now thats service

;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #265 on: November 22, 2004, 18:04 »
Yep that sorted it  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2004, 18:31 »
Is it me?  Where's the answer, Tone?   ;D ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2004, 18:47 »
Don't worry, I found it.   ;)

Next thing is, I don't like the skin!   :P ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2004, 19:00 »

Is it me?  Where's the answer, Tone?   ;D ;D
:doh: :yoops:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2004, 14:17 »
Well I'm really likeing this Firefox web browser, I've downloaded 14 extensions......mind you there are 140 to pick from. As you can see installing is a cinch, as well as options to disable or uninstall, or optimize it.  

Are you giving it a go yet Simon ?

::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum