Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 88495 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2004, 16:25 »
TinyURL Creator0.7.1 is a nifty little icon to have on your browser tool bar.

it turns this http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61306

into this
http://tinyurl.com/3utpv  neat eh  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2004, 17:23 »
The TinyURL thing is neat, but Clive found that last year, and some of us have been using it for ages.  It's especially useful for Moz / FF users as long links distort the web pages on here, which is why I go round editing them.   ;)

I'm becoming more attracted to it, Tony, but however many plugins you add, it's still not going to be a complete integrated suite, and let's face it, there's nothing in FF you can't do with Mozilla, it's just that the plugins UI is very nice.  I may try FF and TB when they bring out more skins for TB, as I really don't like the default Mail Compose window in TB, which looks very amateurish to me.  I could just use FF and still keep MozMail as my default e-mail client, but that would seem to be defeating the object somehow.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2004, 18:14 »
Yes I noticed Clive was using the TinyURL thingy, but I did not notice it on the Moz plugins page. Like you say the plugins IU is a dreasm to use, no wandering of here and there for every plugin you might want to try.

As for the skin on the Thunderbird mail program, at first I did not like it as muchas the default Moz mail skin. But you know what, I prefer it now to the Moz one. Post a piccy of the skin your using then so peeps can compare.

And just try this screen capture with the Zoom Image plugin I did it at 200/400% its really good

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2004, 19:15 »
That screen's OK, Tony, it's the Compose window I don't like:-

compared to the Moz Mail screen:-

Call me picky...  ::)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2004, 22:56 »
Although I use Opera as my browser, and Opera's built in mail client for e-mail and I would never change them, I have been thinking of trying Thunderbird as my NewsReader.  Does anyone here use Thunderbird for newsgroups and is it anywhere near as good as Outlook Express?  

Much as I hate to admit it, I have tried all the well known NewsReaders, but for sheer simplicity none of them have come near to Microshaft's offering.  Opera cannot be beaten for simple text only e-mail, and only the eternal optimist should be risking HTML mail - you might as well just download a .exe virus and run it.  Opera's mail client is actually part of the browser.  It simply runs within the browser in a new window.  However, I don't like Opera for newsgroups, simply because I like to keep e-mail and newsgroups totally apart.

Therefore, I would be grateful if anyone could give me their opinion on Thunderbird's usefulness as a NewsReader.

Thanks.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2005, 18:12 »
Firefox has a handy search box on the toolbar, it has by default five or six search engines on a drop down list, all with an identfying icon. But there are under the "Add Engines" link,  ballpark 1300 search engine plugins you can download if you want to.http://tinyurl.com/xyjv For instance there are nineteen on Filesharing alone. In the Shopping section 150 .....even 21 in the Religious section......joudi and GSS are installing like mad this very minute  ;D ;)

You just click on the one you want .....and bingo it is installed into the drop down list.....easy to uninstall as well as they are all stored in a "search plugins" folder in the Firefox directory.

Offline Rose9994u

Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2005, 15:39 »
FireFox is the Winner

from 6 months i am using Firefox  I nerver get any Virus , spyware on my computer Also

Do't use Mozilla 1.78 it has a bug when u post in forum (i forget the forum App  name)  It posts unlimited replies on that forum  ;)

Also Many site using activex for formating posts its slow down the computer & eats CPU Power So USe frontpage to edit html paste it in firefox less time and works fine
ant Free DigiCam Visit http://www.freenezy.com

Offline sam

• Administrator
Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2005, 15:48 »
i've never heard of that issue with mozilla...and i use it all the time (when I'm not on my windows machine).

As for using activex - no one uses that, surely! We use php - it doesnt call any activex procedures all runs on events generated by php functions. I guess some .asp sites might but 1) there arent many of them 2) they are more likely to use other code and not activex. Plus html, doesn't need to be used. The forum itself generates the html for you using the tags. It is fast and reliable. I would NEVER recommend using FrontPage though, it really doesnt render html to the correct worldwide set standards.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rose9994u

Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2005, 16:09 »
Rentacoder.com is using this and yahoo.co.in

In IE When I post a message through email to groups All Html tags are shown  :x

But if Use Firefox or mozilla & paste formated text it show formated text .  :P

Offline sam

• Administrator
Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2005, 17:38 »
thats odd.

In IE When I post a message through email to groups All Html tags are shown  Mad

IE is s**te anyway. As for post to email? Do you mean using something like hotmail? This could be where the problem lies.

As for Yahoo...they could have the same thing as above. Are you sure they are using activex though, this is antiquated technology. And surely rentacoder are using .asp to do it? I wonder why they would use activex...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rose9994u

Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2005, 13:25 »
I don't use hotmail so no comments

& for yahoo & rent  there formating tags are not availble for mozilla & firefox so they are using MS tecnology !

Offline sam

• Administrator
Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2005, 19:06 »
are they not?? I'm sure they have when I used yahoo... are you sure it is dependent on what version of fireofx / mozilla you have / what plugins you have.

They will be using MS technology, obviously, as they are both asp sites but this doesnt mean they are using activex for one and two shouldnt stop features working in Firefox, but then again with the later the whole point in Firefox is that it renders html correctly unlike how microsoft go about it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rose9994u

Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #282 on: September 04, 2005, 15:03 »
Hi

if u aree using mozilla 1.78 & quick reply to post in "vBulletin v3.5.0 Release Candidate 2" Then mozilla show 10 duplicate post  however only 1 is
posted.

And For yahoo i don't know that yahoo .com also use this or only yahoo.co.in using this .

Offline sam

• Administrator
Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2005, 10:08 »
isnt that an issue vbullentin board addressed?!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sjfowkes1975uk

• New Registration
« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2006, 23:48 »
Well, I would recommend Mozilla 1.4 for the following reasons:

1. It's free, with no ads (unlike Opera).

2. It is faster than IE (in my opinion), and suffers less crashes.  Also, it doesn't suffer from MS Updates!

3. It has a built in Pop Up Stopper, Cookie Manager, Download Manager, Mail Client, HTML Editor, Form Filler, and may other features, which you have to use third party programs for in IE.

4. You can use Tabbed Browsing, and (with the relevant plug-in), Mouse Gestures, if you wish to.

5. You can have fun trying out the hundreds of add-ons / extensions / plug-ins available, if you like tinkering.

6. If you c**k it up, you can easily re-install it without losing any of your settings.

7. There is no index.dat file to worry about, if you value your surfing privacy.  Wiping of cache / cookies can be done easily.

8. The layout is much simpler, and less cluttered than IE, although you have the choice of using an extremely competant sidebar, if that's your thing.

9. You can use Google as your default search engine.

10.  Mozilla is much more configurable than IE.  You can choose from a selection of different skins, and icon packs, to make the browser as personal as you like.  All the features, such as Tabbed Browsing, Sidebar, Site Navigation Bar, plus other toolbars and featuers are easily turn on and offable.  If you like tinkering, this is the browser for you, but it can also be as simple as you like.

That concludes my case for Mozilla 1.4.  Go on, try it... I dare you!   ;D ;D

There's even a forum for Mozilla users, if you can't find your answers here, of course!  ;)  

Also in development is the Firebird browser and Thunderbird mail clients, which are basically stripped down, stand alone versions of Mozilla.

Oh, and one more thing - if you create a long post on here, and the forum freezes as you post it, when you refresh, you don't lose all your text!!

Mmmm do you have a link so i can download the 1.4 version?? thanks Sarah xx

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum