Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 87992 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2003, 22:51 »
Hi Gem, nice to see you again.   :)

Don't use Hotmail or MSN communities myself, so I'm not really sure what you mean by 'text editor'.  Moz is brillant, but there are a few websites which are designed rigidly for IE - could this be the problem?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Gemini

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2003, 23:32 »
Hi Simon :), yes you might be right, can't seem to find any other reason for it.  I thought it was to do with Jave but it isn't.  Its not a big deal as its only rare occasions I use them anyway.
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/gemsig2.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2003, 23:42 »
Well, seeing as Hotmail and MSN were probably designed by Micro$oft, I have a strong suspicion that they may have been bearing IE in mind.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2003, 00:50 »
Whether Opera or Mozilla, :welldone: everyone who has come out of the dark and into the light and dumped the verminous Microsoft browser. :)

Next step:

Early next year, I plan to trial the "Lindows" operating system.  Hopefully, if I can give a positive report others may follow and free themselves from the verminous Microsoft company once and for all.

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2003, 16:49 »

free themselves from the verminous Microsoft company once and for all.

im planning to do the same thing, except using Mandrake Linux - as soon as i get my new 80GB hard drive (which i havent got the cash for yet) im going to leave Windows to my brother and sister and reap the benefits of a free OS  ;D
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2003, 17:11 »
Has anyone used the Mozilla e-mail client yet?  What do you think of it?  I have to admit, it took a while for me to get used to it, being that you have no central 'Inbox'.  

If you have multiple e-mail accounts, all your mail for each account is sent to individual mailboxes (see below).  Once you get used to this, it actually makes things very easy to organise, and when you get an e-mail, you will automatically reply to it from the correct address.  There's a nice pop up notification of incoming mail too.  You can create folders, as per usual, and the Compose screen is pretty standard, although don't be too tempted to use the built in smilies, as, for some reason, these only seem to display to the recipient if they are also using MozMail.

One thing I have found is that, compared to Outlook, sending mail is about 5 times faster, especially if it is being virus scanned on the way out, and disabling of cookies and scripts is available, which is a good security feature, as is switching off the Preview Pane, which most security conscious people would do anyway.  MozMail is also not as likely to be attacked, as most of these scum tend to target Outlook / OE, as they are the most common clients.

The best feature, however, has to be the Junk Mail Filter system.  It does take a while to get it trained, as it tends to treat everything even slightly suspicious as spam, at first, but you can soon get things working satisfactorily.  You can train it to move Junk to a specific folder, to be deleted after a specific time, or to be immediately zapped, and I know many of you would find this a useful feature.

Another nice little toy is the 'Get Map' button in the Address Book.  If you have a postal address on your contact's 'card', you can click the 'Get Map' button, to get a road map of where they live!

All in all, MozMail is a competant mail client, and has all the features you would expect, and more.  It just behaves a little differently to most other mail clients, but once you get to know it, you'll have no problems with it.   Importing of Mail / Accounts / Addresses from OE / Outlook is easy too.

Go on!  There's no reason not to try it!!

:gofor:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2003, 17:39 »
Sounds good Simon,

Must say having to look in three different accounts for incoming mail is a bit of a bind though. But I set it up with my two email accounts and one fo the Wife. Unfortunatley it kept asking for my password for the email accounts, which is the same for all accounts [after thirty five years, if you cannot trust each other  ::)] Anyway it said the server was not accepting that password or was not accepting mail right now. The password is correct and it was inputed correctly, might have ago later if I can be bothered  ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2003, 18:13 »
Hmmm, sounds like the server might be down, Tony.  It's amazing how often this sort of thing happens, just when you're trying something new, so you automatically blame the new program for the problem, when it may lie elsewhere.  You did get the Password Manager to remember your e-mail passwords, yes?  

If you continue to have problems with an account, I would suggest you go into (in MozMail) Edit > Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings, and delete the offending account.  Then press Add Account, to set it up again manually, assuming you know the POP3 settings.  You don't need to put in SMTP server settings, as Moz will send all mail through your default SMTP server, unless you tell it otherwise.

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2003, 18:14 »
what a pity i cant use Hotmail with MozMail, but ive still got my mums ntl:world account, and a soon-to-be-coming domain which i can redirect to there  ;D
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2003, 19:14 »
Just another reminder that if you want a spellchecker for MozMail, you will have to download it from here, but it's very quick!   ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2003, 20:08 »
The server was working because I tested it via outlook, I could recieve but not send using Mozilla. I know it is the setting up that was at fault, but even if I dumped the account and started again, it faulted. So I have dumped that account folder, anyway what about this a stand alone Mozilla email client http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/download.html you can download different skins, and I belive there is alot more functionality than with the built in email client.

To keep yourself up their as the Mozzi expert, you had better download it and try it Simon  ;D ::)«

Thunderbird FAQ

This is the unofficial Thunderbird FAQ, which contains the most frequently asked questions about the mail client.
Contents

* 1 General Questions
          o 1.1 What is Thunderbird?
          o 1.2 What is Mozilla?
          o 1.3 What's the difference between Thunderbird and Mozilla?
          o 1.4 Where can I download Thunderbird?
          o 1.5 How do I install Thunderbird?
          o 1.6 How do I uninstall Thunderbird?
          o 1.7 What's the difference between releases and nightlies?
          o 1.8 Is Thunderbird available in my language?
          o 1.9 How do I start the Profile Manager?
    * 2 Usage
          o 2.1 How do I make Thunderbird my default mail program?
          o 2.2 How do I migrate my Mozilla mail and settings to Thunderbird?
          o 2.3 Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?
          o 2.4 How do I use the spam filters?
          o 2.5 Does Thunderbird come with a spell checker?
          o 2.6 Can I use different themes for Thunderbird?
          o 2.7 What's the keyboard shortcut for feature x?
          o 2.8 Is Thunderbird susceptible to e-mail viruses?
          o 2.9 How do I import e-mail messages from another mail program?
          o 2.10 How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?
          o 2.11 Is there a mail notifier in Thunderbird?
          o 2.12 How do I use S/MIME, PGP or GnuPG to send and receive signed or encrypted messages?
          o 2.13 I changed my IMAP password, how do I get rid of a cached password?

1 General Questions

1.1 What is Thunderbird?

Thunderbird is a free, open-source and cross-platform mail client for most operating systems including, but not limited to, Windows, Linux and Macintosh. It is based on the Mozilla codebase. It is a robust and easy to use client, similar to competing products like Outlook Express, but with some major advantages such as junk mail classification. Read more about the mail client at the Thunderbird Project Page.
      1.2 What is Mozilla?

Mozilla is an open-source web browser, mail client and toolkit, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. Mozilla.org provides binaries for testing and feedback. For more about mozilla.org, read Mozilla at a Glance.
      1.3 What's the difference between Thunderbird and the Mozilla Mail client?

Mozilla is a complete suite of web related applications, such as a browser, a mail/news client, a chat client and much more. Thunderbird is just a mail client, which makes it a better choice if you already have a browser like Mozilla Firebird for example.

Note, though, that Thunderbird is not just the standalone Mozilla mail client. The user interface in Thunderbird differs from Mozilla in a few ways, such as the customizable toolbars. Also, since Thunderbird is smaller than the whole Mozilla suite, it's also faster and easier to use. At least it's going to be soon...
      1.4 Where can I download Thunderbird?

There is an experimental build available at ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird. Note that this is not even the 0.1 release.
      1.5 How do I install Mozilla Thunderbird?

For Windows, unzip the file into a folder of your choosing. Launch thunderbird.exe.
      1.6 How do I uninstall Mozilla Thunderbird?

If you installed Mozilla Thunderbird using the unofficial installer for Windows, just uninstall it using the Add or Remove Programs applet in the Windows Control Panel.

If you installed Mozilla Thunderbird using the official compressed archives, just remove the folder you installed Mozilla Thunderbird in. You may also want to remove the profile folder. Note that that will also remove all your e-mail messages stored in that profile folder.
      1.7 What's the difference between releases and nightlies?

Releases are generally more stable versions of Mozilla Thunderbird that should probably be downloaded by the first-time user. Nightly builds are released every night and contain the very latest changes, including new features and bugs. Don't expect everything to work in the nightly builds. (Well, don't expect everything to work in the releases either!)
      1.8 Is Mozilla Thunderbird available in my language?

Possibly. Since Mozilla Thunderbird is an open-source project, contributors are constantly translating Mozilla Thunderbird into other languages. You can check if Mozilla Thunderbird is available in your language in the localized builds list, available from the download page.
      1.9 How do I start the Profile Manager?

Thunderbird stores your personal settings and mail in a profile folder. The Profile Manager is used to manage multiple profiles. To start the Profile Manager, run Thunderbird with the -p switch. On Windows, follow these steps:
         1. Close Thunderbird completely (select File | Exit from the menu).
         2. Select Start | Run... from the Windows Start menu.
         3. Enter the full path to Thunderbird, enclosed with quotation marks, then add the -p switch, e.g.:
            "C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe" -p

Once started, you are able to add, remove or rename profiles. Note that if you have more than one profile, you will be asked which profile to use each time you start Thunderbird.

« Back to Contents

2 Usage

2.1 How do I make Thunderbird my default mail program?

The first time you run Thunderbird, it should ask you if you want to make it your default mail client. If you answered "No" and later decide you would like it to act as your default mail client:
          o Windows, Mac: go to Edit | Preferences | General and check "Use Thunderbird Mail as the default mail application".

If you still have problems with mailto: links under Windows, go to Start | Settings | Control Panel and open Internet Options. Under the "Programs" tab, select "Thunderbird" from the drop-down list next to "E-mail:".
          o GNOME (Unix/Linux): Open the Control Panel. Go to Document Handlers | URL Handlers. Put mailto in the left text field, and gnome-moz-remote "%s" in the right one. Then put the following text in ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote (create the file if it does not exist):
          o [Mozilla] filename=absolute path of Thunderbird install directory/mozilla KDE 3 (Unix/Linux): Open the Control Center and go to Network | Email. Under Preferred Email Client, enter:
            absolute path of Thunderbird install directory/mozilla --mail
      2.2 How do I migrate my Mozilla mail and settings to Thunderbird?

Thunderbird is now using separate profiles to not interfere with Mozilla. In order to migrate your mail and settings from Mozilla to Thunderbird, follow these steps:
         1. Start up the new version of Thunderbird and let it create a default Thunderbird profile for you. When the Account Manager comes up click cancel and exit the application.
         2. Find the Mozilla profile you are interested in migrating (...\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\\XXXXXXXX.slt). Find the location of your new default Thunderbird profile folder. Now copy all the contents of the first directory into the second including subfolders.
         3. You aren't done yet because Mozilla uses absolute directory paths in prefs.js. Open up the Thunderbird prefs.js file in a text editor. Search and replace all strings containing: ...\Mozilla\Profiles\XXXX.slt with ...\Thunderbird\Profiles\XXXX.slt. Save the file and start up Thunderbird.

Note: This method brings over your mail and account settings, your junk mail training data, and filters. Make sure your POP account in Thunderbird is configured to leave all mail on the server in case you want to go back and read pop mail from Mozilla Mail. Also, copying the Mozilla profile results in a lot of preferences and files no longer needed, since Thunderbird is a mail client only. Remove redundant files at your own risk.

2.3 Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?

No. Netscape WebMail and Hotmail use proprietary protocols. To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. There is also freeware applications available that will let you do the same thing, such as Hotmail Popper.

Another example is Gotmail, which is a utility to non-interactively download email from a Hotmail account. It can download messages from all folders, messages from certain folders, or new messages only. There are options to delete downloaded messages or mark them as read. Gotmail can forward messages to other email addresses or save them as local mbox-style mailboxes.

Of course, you can access your WebMail account on the Web at http://webmail.netscape.com/, or Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com/. If you use Microsoft Messenger, clicking on the appropriate link will open your default browser and take you to your inbox.
      2.4 How do I use the spam filters?

Mozilla Thunderbird comes with build-in spam filters, effectively moving (or removing) unwanted e-mail messages from your mail folders. There is a great article at Netscape DevEdge explaining how to fight junk mail with Netscape 7.1. This article applies to Mozilla Thunderbird too.
      2.5 Does Thunderbird come with a spell checker?

Yes!
      2.6 Can I use different themes for Thunderbird?

Yes! Please visit the Themes section on this site for a list of the available themes.
      2.7 What's the keyboard shortcut for feature x?

See the Keyboard Shortcuts table on this site for a list of the most common keyboard shortcuts.
      2.8 Is Thunderbird susceptible to e-mail viruses?

Thunderbird will not allow a virus or worm to execute automatically. You can see what attachments have been sent to you without a virus being able to execute, and you would have to save a file to your system and deliberately run it before it could cause any harm.

JavaScript is switched off by default for mail and news, so an e-mail cannot run script code just by being opened.

As with any mail program, take proper caution before running any file that you receive in e-mail. Appropriate anti-virus software should also help keep you safer.

2.9 How do I import e-mail messages from another mail program?

Go to Tools | Import, which will bring up a dialog to guide you through the process.
      2.10 How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.

Your mail files are inside your profile (see The Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files ? one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in ?mbox? format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation?s Mail folder.
      2.11 Is there a mail notifier in Thunderbird?

Yes, the Windows version of Thunderbird includes mail notification in the system tray while Thunderbird is open.
      2.12 How do I use S/MIME, PGP or GnuPG to send and receive signed or encrypted messages?

To use S/MIME, open Mail/News and go to Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings | account name | Security. You can set which certificates to use with each account for digital signing and/or encryption.

Hooks to PGP or GnuPG are not included in Thunderbird, but are under development at Enigmail.
      2.13 I changed my IMAP password, how do I get rid of a cached password?

In your profile folder, you should see a numeric file with a .s extension, e.g. 12345678.s. Delete that file and Mozilla Thunderbird will forget your cached passwords, forcing you to reenter all your passwords again. Eventually a button under the advanced preferences panel for forgetting stored passwords may be added.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2003, 21:45 »
Yes, I nearly posted a link to Thunderbird myself, Tony.  I looked at it briefly, but didn't like the fact that you can only choose from 4 different fonts to send mail in.   :(

The part above you highlighted in bold is also a feature of MozMail.  You cannot run attachments (.exe files etc) direct from the e-mail, without first saving it elsewhere, and then deliberately opening it, hopefully not before scanning it for viruses.

Thunderbird and Firebird are at the moment stand alone entities, but the global plan is for these to take over from the current Mozilla suite, following the next couple of builds to get things right.

I'll have a closer look at Thunderbird, and see how tweakable it is, but at first glance, I couldn't find much different to MozMail.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2003, 22:20 »
Your in charge boss  ;) right I'm of to watch Pilger on terror, ITV 10.45. Should be interesting, like all Aussies, he call's it as he sees it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2003, 22:52 »
Anything's worth a try, Tony!  ;)  I just had another look at Thunderbird, and it doesn't really look 'complete' to me.  There are a few plugins you can add to it, but from what I can see, they only bring it up to the standard of the current Mozilla mail client.  I think I'll wait for them to put all the nuts and bolts on!   ;D ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2003, 00:22 »
Well I've got all I want with Outlook, and I have never been infected via email, attempts yes but always blocked.

But I do like the browser and the way it works, and the Personal folder bar is neat. I have downloaded five skins to try out, and I cannot make my mind up between  Lo-Fi and Nautipolis 1.4, I'm on the latter to-night. I might download the mouse comands later.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum