Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 87943 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2003, 21:08 »
Just a word of advice for prospective Mozilla users - make sure you get version 1.4, as anything later is still in beta testing.  Also, the default skin is horrible.  Go to View > Apply Theme and tick Modern, for a much nicer skin.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2003, 21:14 »
Simon is getting excited now, that we all gonna try it.  ;D  ;)
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2003, 21:21 »
Well Simon, since I can't seem to fix IE6, do you think if I download Mozilla it will still work or should I try to sort out my problems with IE6 first.? You've got me convinced that Mozilla is a more bug free piece of software. ???
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2003, 21:22 »
:banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :gofor:  Lona!!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2003, 21:27 »
Just checked, Simon.  13mb download, I will be here all night. :o :P.  I hope for you sake it's worth it. ;D ;D ;D

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2003, 21:42 »
One other thing - when you install, you get options as to which components to install.  You can choose Browser Only, or Full Installation, or Custom.  I choose Custom, and just install the Browser and Mail Client.  Not the other bits.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2003, 22:09 »
It may be 13MB, Lona, but how many megabytes of patches do you think you will have to apply to Internet Explorer between  now and Christmas?  I chose browser only, because if there is  one thing I could praise Microsoft for it is the Outlook Express mail client.  I have tried the full-blown Outlook  2000, Pegasus and Eudora, but I always return to Outlook Express.  It's simple and does everything I want it to do.

Anyone thinking of trying Opera, I would start with version 6.06 without Java.  It's only around 3.5MB and I have found it to be the most stable version Opera has released.  In fact, I can't remember when it last crashed. :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2003, 23:12 »
Another good thread started by yours trully  ::)

Right how do you get this bag of sh*t to save a default web page ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2003, 23:39 »

Right how do you get this bag of sh*t to save a default web page ;D  

OK I found out how to do that OK, hey I like the save password option, handy for logging in here for instance.

I guess the more you use it the better you like it, I like how you can collapse the toolbars. As I have three monitors I can have IE:6 and Mozzila on different screens. Not that you would want too normally, but they do not conflict with each other whilst running at the same time. And unlike since I went onto IE:6, it does not show the icons on the lefthand side of Pal home page, Mozzila shows em OK. I had to down load Macromedia Flash player to be able to see and hear  :-\ sigs, maybe that was a mistake  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2003, 23:49 »
Have you changed skins, Tony, or have you still got the horrible traffic lights?

View > Apply Theme > Modern, or if you want to be adventurous, Get More Themes.   ;)

When you go through Edit > Preferences, you'll be able to set your Home Page, and Default Search Engine.  Have fun - I know you'll like it!   ;) ;D

P.S If you go to View > Show / Hide, you can get rid of the Toolbars all together.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2003, 00:16 »
Yes it's looking good Simon,
Oh whilst surfing with Mozzilla, cookies don't show up in Emp Temp window, but of course you can zap em in Mozzila  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2003, 00:24 »
Yes, you can set Moz to zap cookies at the end of each session.  I set mine to one day, otherwise you keep having to log into Pals.   :)

Told you it was good, Tony!   Have you tried the pop up stopper?  Better than any of the ones you can use with IE.  :D :D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2003, 00:36 »

Yes, you can set Moz to zap cookies at the end of each session.  I set mine to one day, otherwise you keep having to log into Pals.   :)

Told you it was good, Tony!   Have you tried the pop up stopper?  Better than any of the ones you can use with IE.  :D :D

Must set mine, pity you cannot select cookies to ignore getting zapped.

Not tried the pop up stopper yet.

Skin, gone for Lo-Fi, nice and crisp and clear

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2003, 00:47 »

login ain't a chore with password saver enabled  ;D the more I see the more I like.

Do you use the mail client as your default client ?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2003, 00:55 »
Well guys I have Mozilla set up and still looking at all the features. I had a little problem logging into outlook express as it kept asking for all my email passwords where before I didn't need to. I couldn't get my hotmail acccount to download and had to do it via web. Outlook express wouldn't accept hotmail password yet I got in no bother through web but only with IE6.  I had absolutely no problem signing in to msn chat. Apart from that I like it and it is much faster.  Thanks Simon for suggesting it. :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum