Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 88002 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2003, 01:11 »
Good for you Lona Lass, I had no problem my email program, I use Outlook and think I'll keep it that way, although  Mozzila has it's own email program. What has it not got is more like, and yes it does appear to load faster. Either way we have the choice of two browsers, I was planning on trying another, hence I started this thread.  ;D

Nite
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2003, 08:21 »
Tony,

In the Cookie Manager, you can choose which sites to allow cookies from, and which not to.  Obviously it would take some time to set up, and I admit is not an ideal solution, but I suppose you could build a list of cookies to block, then you would not have to delete the ones you want to keep, if you see what I mean.  It would be nice to be able to save certain cookies from being zapped, I have to admit, but that's a minor gripe in my opinion.

Yes I do use the Mail Client, simply because it's not quite so vulnerable to all these bugs and holes that Outlook seems to get.  Not having a central Inbox does take some getting used to, particularly if you have multiple mail accounts, but it's perfectly workable.  Here's a little tweak - if you want to set the background colour of your e-mails, you can do this in about:config (type that in address bar), but putting in the HTML colour code, under msgcompose.background_color.  A list of HTML colour codes can be found here.

The pop up stopper is the best I have come across, which doesn't seem to stop the ones you actually want, unlike most of the third party ones used with IE.  If you come to a site where you want pop ups to get through, just click Tools > Pop Up Manager > Allow Pop Ups From This Site, and job done.  It also blocks those pesky pop unders.

Lona, I can't understand why it would have affected your OE log in details.  I think that may have been down to the other thing you changed, as it may now think you are someone different!  Anyway, if you use the password manager in Mozilla, you'll only have to put your passwords in once, and it will remember them.  Can't see why your Hotmail shouldn't work, but I've always found that downloading Hotmail in Outlook / OE is not always that reliable.

Anyway, keep at it guys!  There's loads of features to discover!  I must get to work now - catch you later!   :D :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2003, 08:56 »
Cheers Simon,

but it looks like I'll be sticking with IE:6, well forced to  really  >:( Because the encrypted site I use to log onto my 'tradeing platform' will not work with Mozzila. But I can and proburbly will use it on an evening when the Markets are closed.

But my needs are not the norm, and would certainly recommend Mozzila to others.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2003, 09:56 »
That's a shame, Tony.  There are a small handful of website which are not compatible with Mozilla.  This is not a fault in Mozilla, it's just that the websites concerned have been designed to only work on one platform, that being IE, but these are few in number.  The online facility for my Marbles card doesn't work with Moz either, but, apart from Windows Updates, that is the only site where I am forced to use IE.  All my other credit card sites, and my Halifax home banking services work fine.

I hope you do continue to use Moz when you are not trading, Tony.  Just a point, but could you not set Moz as your default browser, and just use IE for your trading, or is it not that simple?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2003, 10:53 »
Great Minds Simon........ ::) Thats just what I have deceided to do.

Because if I only use IE:6 for my Trading Platform, I cannot crash IE:6, if I'm not using it for any other  applications.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2003, 13:42 »
;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2003, 16:04 »
A question regarding Mozilla.........

When I load my pictures from my digi camera on to the hard drive they open up in the mozilla brouser instead of my picture software. I have to right click and open with my picture software.
Is it something that I should have configured with Mozilla.?? :-\
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2003, 17:03 »
Lona, if you right click the picture file and select 'Open With...', then 'Choose Program', you can then choose which program you want to open the file, and tick the box at the bottom to get it to always open those file types with your chosen software.

How are you finding Mozilla generally?

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2003, 17:25 »
i downloaded and installed both Mozilla and Opera last night and trialed them for an hour each. After that, Mozilla was on top, but both were uninstalled and i reverted back to my trusty IE. I dont know why i prefer it, its just the best browser for me...

However, when i get Mandrake up and running (dunno when that will be) i think it will be my browser of choice  ;)
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2003, 17:44 »

i downloaded and installed both Mozilla and Opera last night and trialed them for an hour each. After that, Mozilla was on top, but both were uninstalled and i reverted back to my trusty IE. I dont know why i prefer it, its just the best browser for me...

However, when i get Mandrake up and running (dunno when that will be) i think it will be my browser of choice  ;)

To be honest at first I did not rate it as good as IE:6 The only reason being, I did not know my way around it, but it is now my default browser.

When I first imported my 'Favourites ' they were all over the place. Then I found 'Manage Bookmarks' anyway all sorted now, and I have even popped my six most visited websites on my Personal Tool Bar. And I've never had a pop up advert since I started using it, plus I have set it to dump all cookies when I close the Mozzila. I could go on but I wont.......

::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2003, 18:13 »
i downloaded and installed both Mozilla and Opera last night and trialed them for an hour each.

That's not really long enough to make a fair assessment, WD.  You could hardly have found your way around in just an hour, let alone giving Moz or Opera a work out.  I have to admit, I installed and uninstalled Moz a number of times, because I felt so at home with IE.   It was difficult to break away but now that I have, I don't think I would ever go back to having IE as my default browser.  I only use it now when forced to.  It's just a question of getting used to something a little different.  :)

Glad you like it Tony - with Lona, that's two of you giving it a good fair trial.   :D

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2003, 18:30 »
That's not really long enough to make a fair assessment, WD.  You could hardly have found your way around in just an hour, let alone giving Moz or Opera a work out.

Actually ive just reinstalled Mozilla, im going to do a bit of heavy duty browsing and downloading to see if it can hack what ill throw at it. Ive got the "Modern" skin installed, and changed the language to English (UK) -

Its time to rock and roll  ;D

Btw, does anyone know how to import IE favourites into Moz?
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2003, 19:03 »
Btw, does anyone know how to import IE favourites into Moz?

It should have automatically imported your IE favorites when you installed it, WD.  Did it not?  If not, Export them from IE to your desktop, then go into Moz, click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > Tools > Import, then locate the file you just put on your desktop.  That should do it.  You can then arrange your Bookmarks using the Bookmark Manager, which Tony referred to above.  Hint: to sort a folder alphabetically, highlight it and press Ctrl + N.

Well done for giving it another try!   ;D ;D

Psst... Sean, that's 3 for Moz now!    ;)

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2003, 19:29 »
ive just re-added them the hard way now, they're sitting in my Personal Toolbar  Folder. Been using it now for just over an hour, and it looking good. Im gonna give it a week to prove itself, its started off well  ;D
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Adept

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2003, 19:30 »

Psst... Sean, that's 3 for Moz now!    ;)

Your cheerleader's uniform is quite fetching on you Simon :P :lol:

BTW it's 4 :-[ Opera will be gone from my PC as soon as I can get the bloody Mouse Gestures to work to my satisfaction. I only want back and forward the way Opera does it, but Optimoz seems to want to do it its way ::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum