Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: imbedding a emulator  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
imbedding a emulator
« on: September 16, 2003, 17:58 »
i run this gaming forum and i was wondering if it would be possible to run a emulator for the snes on a thread like this one. So whoever came into the thread could play Mario Bros 3. would it be illegal, i mean i see all these emulator sites and they never get sued. I won't think it would be but i don't want to get my forum deleted either.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:imbedding a emulator
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 18:40 »
The usual position is emulators are legal, rom dumps are not (though somehow Mame.dk continues).

The usual disclaimer is "I bought the software so can use it how I want" w.r.t. the roms sort of justifies those that have a legal copy of the game playing it via an emulator.

Problem you would have would be that not everyone who played the game would legally be entitled to and you may be opening youself up to legal action (don't most emulators say "its illegal to package this with the roms" too which is effectively what you would be doing).
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 19:01 »
alright, heres a thought, how bought i have the emulator imbedded in the thread. and give instructions for the members to access the rom at my own private host. theoretically speaking. But the question still begs the answer how would i imbed the emulator in place

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 19:14 »
Depends on the emulator - if a java based one then it should be pretty easy.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 20:55 »
I experiment with code on the site, but mainly just enough to get by. Im mostly a hardware and software guy. I know jack about webdesign with the exception of where to put the urls. You would be doing me a favor if you could point me in the right direction for getting this emulator install. Thank you before hand

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum