Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: mouse starts running around and windows open  (Read 5729 times)

Offline think_a_lot

mouse starts running around and windows open
« on: October 01, 2003, 07:29 »
hello every body.
I've been looking for a forum like this one for ages! I'm so glad i hav found it because my computer is giving me a hard time. I've tried to find help and information about my problem on the site of symantec and mcafee but nowhere i found what i need. My problem is this: for more then ten days, every minute or so, when i'm using my mouse, my cursor starts to become uncontrollable. I mean, it starts running around to te left, the right, up and down, and screens, windows and menus (like "start", "software",...) open and close. Windows who were already open become small, or close or what ever. Even when i'm just typing things starts to get crazy. What is the problem. Is it my mouse,  my desktop, or what. I've scanned with mcafee end norton anti virus but nothing found. I've formatted my hard drive and reinstalled the programmes I needed, but almost immediately, problems arose again. Please help me because i'm out of inspiration and patience. Thanks in advance.
Good day to all of you. (sorry if i made some mistakes in my writing, i'm not used to wright in english)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
Re:mouse starts running around and windows open
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 07:45 »
Hello Think-a-lot and  :welcome:  Im sure some of the "techies" here will be able to assist you with your PC problem, then stick around and join in,we are a friendly bunch  :D

Adept

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 07:50 »
Hi think_a_lot :welcome:

Don't worry, your English is fine. It's probably a lot better than many people on this forum ::)

I have seen similar mouse problems to yours with Logitech and Trust mice. It has always been solved by re-installing the software provided with the mouse.

Hope this helps :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 08:07 »
Hi think_a_lot and welcome

<<<<Don't worry, your English is fine. It's probably a lot better than many people on this forum >>>
You talking about me adept ? :lol:

You know I had a disc with my new 5 button mouse, but I just plugged it in and it worked right away, how is that? Is that my clever ME ?

Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 08:15 »
Another thing worth asking is:
Is the mouse cordless? (optical or radio if so).

The reason I ask is because I've got a cordless mouse that uses an optical reciever and very strange things started happening with it. I traced it down to the energy saving lightbulbs in my computer room interfering with the signal.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 13:30 »
To add to Dacks reply, mobile phones near PCs can do strange things even if they are not receiving or making a call at the time  :o

Michelle you may find that some of the extra features that your mouse has arent being used fully, unless you have installed the software that came with it especially if its not a Microsoft one  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 14:03 »
My five button mouse works fine without the installation disc as well.  Can't see the point of loading software on if it does the job without.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 15:51 »
Yeah it does all work, all my knobs are in working order  ;)
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline think_a_lot

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 23:45 »
hello every body , thanks for your answers. I've tried to respond earlier but i was unable to log in;
My problem has not found its end yet. It continues to make my pc-life a living hell.
I've tried to uninstall my mouse drivers but i'm, unable to do so! Nothing works. Its a simple, old fashioned mouse. I believe its called a ps/2 mouse or something like it. Its not serial. The head at the end of the cable is round. I have no clue what to do now. And to make things worse, my computer has become extremely slow. It takes for ever to open a program or even a simple window. Please help me you guys (and girls of course).

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 00:07 »
Ton anglais est meilleur que ma francaise  :)

Can you tell us what kind of PC you are using, motherboard and operating system etc please.

Have you tried running your antivirus program when your PC is in SAFE MODE ?

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 05:02 »
Hi think_a Lot,

Sometimes simple ideas might be effective. I didn't see any answer here above telling about cleaning the mouse, Did you open it taking the ball out cleaning everything in direct cotact with that ball?

Second question, Did you try another mouse to see if it works?

(I'm surprised that this matter is not replaced to "Hardware problems")
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 07:36 »
(I'm surprised that this matter is not replaced to "Hardware problems")

It is now.   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 09:02 »

It is now.   ;)

And it shouldn't be ::)

Here's the clue:-

My problem is this: for more then ten days, every minute or so, when i'm using my mouse, my cursor starts to become uncontrollable.

Doesn't sound like a dirty mouse to me :P Sorry Joudi :-\

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 09:31 »
I've moved this back again for no other reason than to make it easier for think-a -lot to find it again.  If he has problems opening windows then he doesn't want to be wasting valuable time hunting for it.  It can always be moved somewhere else when it's resolved.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2003, 09:59 »
I'm not a techie but I quite liked Joudi's suggestions as I have always found that if I have similar problems, it's usually caused by dirt or fluff in the mouse ball.  Can you try a different mouse to see if that works?

What worries me is that your computer has started to run slow and I wonder if you have run an AdAware scan for trojans which are not detected by antivirus software?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum