Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: mouse starts running around and windows open  (Read 5760 times)

Offline think_a_lot

Re:mouse starts running around and windows open
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2003, 12:17 »
Hello and thanks again for all you answers. I will try to respond to your questions. I've got Windows XP (pentium II) an 196 ram i think; May be I have an idea what the reason could be: i think my problem started shortly after i had downloaded a cursor who looks like a dog instead of a little arrow. But i've changed that afterwards. Maybe the site where i got that lttle doggy gave me a virus or so? I've run mcafee with the latest updates (but not yet in safe mode, so i will try this now)and have found two virusses: teekids and msblast. But the problem remains. So maybe this information can help you help me. I certainly hope so. Goodbye and have a nice day all of you. Thanks again.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2003, 12:41 »
Have you downloaded the Microsoft patch?  If not, you can solve your problem by visiting the following site:

http://www.asu.edu/it/fyi/comm/security/msblast/

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2003, 14:18 »
I don't get how it could be anything to do with the mouse being dirty if it is opening and closing windows and whizzing all over the place though ? Still thats an easy thing to try I guess.

:-\
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2003, 14:46 »
A couple of things, Think_a_lot.  Firstly, is it advisable to always keep your anti virus software updated, which, correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't sound like you have done until just now.   :)  You can download a removal tool for the Blaster worm from the link below:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Teekids is a variant of the Blaster worm, so the tool should remove that for you as well.

Good luck!  

:D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2003, 14:55 »
Yes michelle, sometimes the dirt or a "HAIR" may be rolled around the ball or the small cylinders which are on direct contact with the ball. So it's really not hard to clean them all well, especially because Think_a_Lot is telling:

Its a simple, old fashioned mouse.

I've formatted my hard drive

So, may be it wasn't cleaned since ages or not at all before.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2003, 15:13 »
That's happened to me several times Joudi, especially when our cat was a kitten and used to walk all over my computer desk.  Cats hairs get everywhere and I often had to remove the mouse ball and clean them out.  The symptoms were a completely uncontrollable mouse pointer, not dissimilar to the description given by Think-a-lot.

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2003, 15:19 »
Of course Clive, We all know the eternal ennemity between cats and mice.   ;D  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2003, 15:22 »
Its very unlikely to be the mouse or a hardware problem.
A dirty or dodgy mouse would cause jerky actions it wouldnt open and close windows at random  :(
I would definately be thinking along the lines of a virus or other software problem.
The thing that puzzles me is that he has formatted and reinstalled XP so that should have sorted it unless he was reinfected on connecting to the net or from another drive or partition.
Hopefully a scan in safe mode may find it if it is.
Prior to scanning in safe mode dont forget to turn off SYSTEM RESTORE in XP as apparently it can hide in there and be reactivated when its re enabled  :doggie:

Offline think_a_lot

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2003, 15:51 »
hello again. I've just cleaned my mouse. I found  like a pound of dust. Now my mouse  works great. But my problem of opening windows and such reamin. I've just ran an anti-adware-spyware  program and found 567 infected files (most of them are gator).  I've restarted my pc and the problem resurfaced again. I always keep mcafee updated. And I automatically  get updates from microsoft.  I've just read what sandra wrote, i will try it now.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2003, 16:13 »
Ah so that clears up the dirty mouse problem  ;)  ;D

It was the windows opening up and closing that I didn't understand, didn't realise there was two problems, or several.

That turning off restore thing worked with mine, I think it was adept told me to do that and it found one hiding in there. Little blighters

Good luck with that then think_a_lot

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 20:27 »
Hey Adept, I'm on my way to be a "TECHIE" after 50 years from now.   ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2003, 20:47 »

Hey Adept, I'm on my way to be a "TECHIE" after 50 years.   ;)

And I thought I was old  :gotcha:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2003, 21:24 »

Hey Adept, I'm on my way to be a "TECHIE" after 50 years.   ;)

Get off, he's after my title!  ::)  :P  ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2003, 22:40 »
Don't forget who supported you in your theory Joudi.  And against formidable opponents too.  We can do without Adept and Sandra now.   ;D  Oh!  My mouse just fell apart.   ;D :(  Probably laughing.   :heehee:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2003, 22:46 »
What you forget is that a dirty mouse is merely an inconvenience as it makes its action jerky and difficult to control, the main problem here is that something is operating things that it isnt supposed to  ::)

Discounting supernatural forces like poltergeists and things like that, then my money is still on a virus or a software problem  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum