Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: BBC Radio Player  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
BBC Radio Player
« on: October 08, 2003, 22:08 »
Have just spent the last hour trying to get Remote Assistance to work, which is why I was in and out of Messenger (sorry if I ignored you!).  Never got it to work, but I think I know why now.  I was on MSN Messenger and my 'victim' was on Windows Messenger, so does that mean it wouldn't work?

Anyway, what we were trying to do was get his BBC Radio Player to work.  What he wants to do is listen to the Jonathon Ross show as he missed it Saturday, and he goes through all the right procedures (I was going through it with him on the phone), but when he hits the 'Play' button on the BBC Radio Player, he gets no sound.  I do, which was very annoying for him!

Here's the link, it works for me, does it work for you, and has anyone any ideas why my mate can't get any sound?  All his other sounds work OK, as he was playing a CD earlier.

One thing which may be relevant, he installed Real player, didn't like it and uninstalled it.  Could it have stolen some files?  If so, how would he get them back?

Cheers!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:BBC Radio Player
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 23:04 »
It doesnt play for me Simon but I havent got Real Player installed as I hated it  >:(
It says you need Real Player to be able to listen to it.
I clicked on another file from the playlist and it was a .ram file which I am certain is Real Players own format.
I assume that you played it one yours through Real Player, if not what did you play it in ?

I think that RA should work across both messemgers Simon but try again with both of you on the same one next time just in case.
If your friend has XPs firewall enabled there is a setting in advanced for enabling Remote Desktop which XP blocks by default :doggie:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 23:05 »
Simon, the link is working perfectly with me although I have problems with RealOne player (audio and video) which is even effecting my windows media player (video).
object width="450" height="150">

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 23:09 »
It worked perfect for me.

I have an old version of FREE Real player installed. It keeps asking to update to RealOne but I refuse  ;D

DJ ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 23:15 »
I can't get it to work at all and I even turned my speakers on!  It's a nice site though.   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 23:18 »
Thanks folks!  I clicked on the Help link for BBC Radio player (who said RTFM?!) and, of course, it said about Real Player.   ::)  I have it installed on my machine, but I have managed to tame it, so I forgot it was even there.  My friend has just uninstalled it, as he hated it, so he will not be best pleased that he has to install it again if he wants to use the BBC Radio Player!

I have now re-installed Windows Messenger on my machine, so we both have the same.  The error message we kept getting was something about it couldn't resolve host name.  Sorry, I forget what it said exactly now.  We tried it both ways, and still got the same message.  Will try it again tomorrow night, probably.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 23:20 »
You get that if the firewalls blocking it Simon.
Get him to disable it while you connect and re enable it as soon as you make contact if you cant configure it  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 23:28 »
Hmmm, I don't know who's is blocking it.  I don't want to risk him running without a firewall for a second, with these Blaster and Welchia things still going round, but I suppose he'll be OK, as he has the patches.   :-\

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 23:44 »
I uninstalled RealOne player and tried the link, it wouln't work Simon.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 23:47 »
Thanks Joudi.  I think that proves the culprit!   ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum