Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Mozilla Tips and Tricks  (Read 29197 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Mozilla Tips and Tricks
« on: October 09, 2003, 10:54 »
Right Simon.

I'll let you start this thread off, and don't forget to make it "sticky"  :o

Tip for MozMail: If you want the same colour background as we both had in Outlook, you need to type about:config in the browser address bar, then scroll down to msgcompose.background_color and change the value to #ffffee.  You have to do it that way, because although you can select default fonts and background in Edit > Preferences > Mail & Newsgroups > Composition, that particular colour is not one of the ones available to set as default by that method, so you have to go in the back door.

Do you mean the normal Mozilla web browser address bar, took me here

and I'm still non the wiser ???
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Mozilla Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 12:53 »
Yes, in the browser address bar, type about:config, and it should take you into hundreds of configurations.  Many of them are what you can do with the Preferences interface.  See shot below - I'll be back later to explain further if needed.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 13:42 »
This thread is a good idea, but I like my mozilla to look different  ;D  Any more?

Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 16:23 »
That's a bit like saying, "I want my house to look different - any suggestions?"   ::)

Can you narrow the field down a bit Michelle?  What sort of things are you looking for?  To start you off, you can get different skins from http://themes.mozdev.org/   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 16:33 »
Sorry I no make myself clear !!  ;)

I meant do you have any other tips and tricks for mozilla, that might otherwise be missed?

;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 17:57 »
Err..., well I'll have to think about that.  Have you got the Smoothwheel mouse scroller plugin?  It's available here, if anyone's interested.

The 'Keywords' feature is also quite useful.  If you go into Manage Bookmarks, highlight an entry, then right click it and choose Properties, you can set a 'Keyword' for that particular bookmark.  So, for example, you can set PC Pals to 'Pals', then all you have to do is type 'Pals' in the browser address bar to come straight to us.  You don't even have to use a word.  Mine is set so I just key '#' which brings me to Pals.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, but it would be easier to have a lead!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 18:26 »
oooh I like that simon thanks.  ;)

I don't think I need the mouse thing as I have a 5 button mouse with scroller thing.

"Thing" is a very technical term
 ::)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 23:23 »
Have you tried out the "mouse gestures" yet Mich ?

I would not be without them myself  :o

No images of "finger gestures" please Hooky......oh go on then  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 23:40 »
No what are they tony ? Do I need them with a 5 button mouse?

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 23:51 »
Here you go Mich,

http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/defaultmappings.html

here are the gestures, I have set mine to "right click"

looking at the gestures hold down "right click" move mouse to the left ..goes back a page.

hold down "right click" move mouse towards monitor opens up another "tab" in tabbed browsing...get the picture?

I don't know if 5 button mice can do something similare, but Moz does the above with only two buttons  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 23:54 »
Thats what the extra buttons do Tony amongst other things you can usually program them to do that and more  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 23:59 »
Well I can do the page back and forward bit but not sure about the new tab thing, maybe simon can help there. ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 07:40 »
Well, I don't actually use the tabs, but basically, Tabbed Browsing lets you open more than one web page in a single window. Each web page has its own tab across the top of a single browser window. Each tab appears on the Tab Bar. For example, you can visit PC-Pals.com, MSN.com, and BBC.co.uk within one window instead of three windows.  You don't need to have several windows open to visit several web pages.  You can open, close, and reload web pages without having to switch to another window.

I don't tend to use tabs myself, because I prefer to have the extra space on my screen, but many people find them extremely useful.

Edit:  I just re-read your post, Michelle, and I think you mean can you open new tabs with your five button mouse?  Well, it depends what the software that came with your mouse enables it to do.  Personally I didn't load the software with mine, as I just use the extra buttons to go backwards and forwards.  I think opening of new tabs in Mozilla is a feature of OptiMoz, so I don't think it would work with a five button mouse, without getting Optimoz from Tony's link.

One of the best things about Moz is the ease of installing these plugins - give it a go, Michelle!

Further edit:  One thing I really miss, especially when posting here, is the IE Spell Checker (IESpell), which doesn't work with Mozilla.  If anyone can find a browser text spell checker which works with Moz, that would be brilliant!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2003, 07:57 »
Yeah sorry Simon I did mean can I do the Tabs with the 5 Button mouse, I do already use the Tabs, I like those.

I think I'll leave the mouse as it is at the moment though.

Thanks.

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2003, 17:00 »
I tried using the mouse gestures, when since my fingured get bored i usually play about highlighting the text im reading, using mouse gestures it got very annoying with the pages going backwards and forwards  ;D
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum