Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: windows 98 problem  (Read 2544 times)

Offline twiggy

windows 98 problem
« on: November 03, 2003, 13:48 »
didnt no where to post this so here gos.... for example on here pcpals i put my username in and click on the password box it takes about 5 to 10 seocnds for the curosr to come up in the box meaning i cant type till it comes up. As you can prob guess this is really anoying when your filling in a hole page of them when singing up for somthing. please please could some one tell me how to fix this problem  >:(

Thanks Mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:windows 98 problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 13:51 »
Has that only just started happening Mark or has it always done that ?
If it has always done it then it sounds like a slow CPU and/or a bit short on RAM  :(

Offline twiggy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 13:55 »
It cant be dat coz its never done it before only ovewr the last 3weeks or os, so last night i whipped the hdd and refomatted it reinstalled windows ect and stil got the da same problem.

Any ideas

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 14:02 »
Have you actually tried to continue typing before the cursor re-appears?  I only say that, because it happens to me occasionally, and if I carry on, the cursor seems to keep up.  Just a thought, not a solution, I'm afraid.  

By the way, which browser do you use?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline twiggy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 14:07 »
Yes i can keep typin it just dosnt appear on the screen till a certain length of time (changes from website to website) then it appers but doing this i cant move on to the next box for a while. I have explorer 5.5

Thanks for ya suggestions i really would like to get this fixed thow. very very anoying

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 14:16 »
Twiggy, it sounds to me as if you have something running in the background which you may be unaware of.  Try doing a Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up everything that is running and see if you can find anythng unusual.  Failing that, I know that you have reformatted, but run your antivirus and adaware software to see if they find anything.

Offline twiggy

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 14:28 »
herm yeha i got a two things there i iant sure off but they might have something to do with windows so i dont wanna touch them. I may of pin point where the problem start but aint sure. after i fileld the first box in ever since the refomat i got asked about the auto re-fill option. i click yes. but no i dont get the auto refill box thing that drops down could this be whats slowing it? how can i disaply it?

thanks mark

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 14:31 »
Yes, I would agree with Clive.  Not to be alarmist, but there could be some piece of spyware you have picked up, which is logging your keyboard entries.

Do a complete Virus Scan, and a Spyware Scan, using both Ad Aware, and Spybot, to be on the ultra safe side, and see what they come up with.  You could also download Spyware Blaster, which can help stop spyware getting onto your system in the first place.

You might also want to consider upgrading to IE6, or even (dare I say it?!)   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 14:36 »
Take a look here Twiggy:

http://pc-pals.com/index.php?board=33;action=display;threadid=2453

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 14:54 »
That's why Clive's a sad git an Admin.  How do you remember these old threads, Clive?   ;D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 14:56 »
:wahh:

Offline twiggy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 16:00 »
ok ran a scan using ad-ware 6 and got 5 files back what do i do with this now?

thkans mark

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 16:25 »
That means you had five spyware programs running on your computer which were almost certainly slowing your system down.  Let Ad-Aware delete them for you.  I suggest that you download a small program called CookieWall which will prevent the spyware from coming back as it enables you to block unwanted cookies but always accept those you need.  I have found that all spyware arrives via a cookie.  Let us know if that solves your problem.

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 18:30 »
Yes mos def sounds like something is running doing one of the following:

Taking up a lot of CPU power(you can verify this if a lot of other things are slow)

Taking up a lot of memory

^ both those you may only be when IE is open indicating that it is an internet based spyware or something.

Just outta curiousity, does anyone else think that it may be something to do with autocomplete and the time it takes accessing some info?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 18:43 »
Just outta curiousity, does anyone else think that it may be something to do with autocomplete and the time it takes accessing some info?

Well, I did suggest upgrading to IE6, or an alternative browser, so that would indicate one way or another if it is an Auto Complete problem, wouldn't it?  I never use the function myself, and I don't use IE any more, so I'm only guessing.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum