Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: now what is it  (Read 1290 times)

Offline danlan02

now what is it
« on: November 09, 2003, 15:54 »
my pc is not loading the os from the hard drive.
at post it memory checks fine finds the hard drive fine and all the cd drives but.
it doesnt boot of the hard drive after.
it used to give me the option to pick 2000 or 98 but now it just stops and does nothing.
and it also finds the proccesor as 350mhz but to the left it says host 100 mhz ive never had that before. ive tried a different hard drive that had 98 on it and i still get the same.ive changed ide cables and reset the bios.checked the manual the lot wot could be causing this.
my mate took of all the jumpers of this board being an idiot.
i looked through the manual and placed them were i think they should be.is there a jumper that make the pc not boot the hard disk.
it does whir up.
plllleeeeaaase help.this computer has been sold to my friend and he is collecting it later.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:now what is it
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 16:04 »
Hiya Dan,

It wouldnt just happen to be the boot sequence setting in your BIOS, would it?

Also, I would check that you have the floppy drive cable in the right way round.

As for it reading 100MHz next to the 350MHz for the CPU details, I believe that 100MHz refers to the clock speed.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 16:18 »
I am getting confused now with you saying it used to give you the option of 2K or 98, does this mean that the drive you have in now has or has been dual booted ?
If it was set up as a slave with the second OS on then the original master will have the MBR on it that allows selection of either drive/OS.
I am not sure that you can take a dual booted slave drive and set it up as the master by itself.
As far as I know the only jumper that would stop it booting into its OS is the clear CMOS one not being set in the normal position  ???

Offline danlan02

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 16:31 »
the hard drive that is in it at the mo is a dual boot one partition has 98se and the other has 2000 pro on it.
i have checked it in another machine and it works fine.and the cmos jumpoer is in the right place so is the floppy ide cable.this is getting a little frustrating now.
i have 2 hours to sort this out lol. scary stuff ey.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 17:07 »
As Rodders said, check the boot order in your BIOS.  Could be as simple as that.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 03:15 »
I think its hanging on one of the windows drivers, probably the graphics one, so its not allowing it to boot past that point.
To simplify things try the drive which just has 98 on then hit F8 just after the post beep and choose the option to load the drivers one by one.
That way it should narrow it down to where it is hanging so that we have something to go on  :)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 14:29 »
As for it reading 100MHz next to the 350MHz for the CPU details, I believe that 100MHz refers to the clock speed.

Almost Rodders  :o

The 100MHz refers to the BUS SPEED. This speed setting sounds correct for a 350Mhz. The CLOCK SPEED for your processor will be "3.5x"  --- 3.5 x 100Mhz = 350Mhz, so I think all is well there.

It sounds like there may be a boot sector problem, or boot.ini file problem. Download the HDD diagnostic software from the HDD's manufacturers website, create a bootable floppy, and use that to make sure your HDD is ok.

IF you were to take another HDD (With Windows on) and put it into this computer, the chances of it working are slim - because the hardware is different (isn't it?) You said you checked it on another machine.... which is strange....

...but if that is the case, then it would point more at the mainboard causing an problem.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 14:45 »
Windows 98 seems happy enough to be swapped from pc to pc usually doesnt it K ?
Whenever I have done that it just finds the new hardware and sorts itself out unlike XP which wont do that if there are too many changes  ???

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 22:23 »
Almost Rodders  :o

Sorry, I can't think and type at the same time.   :-[

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 13:35 »
^heh, just tidying up the forum  :D

Sandra: Well, yes, 98 does handle things a bit better, but it there is a change of mobo chipset (from, say, VIA to ALi) then it'll probably go wrong.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 22:16 »
well she ask the question a couple of days earlier with a deadline of, if i read right, a couple of hours. Im curious what the conclusion of this story was?????? ??? ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum