Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Recurring problem  (Read 9641 times)

Offline Pwilsonscott

Re:Recurring problem
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 16:54 »
I think you are right about the debug assertion failure not being connected to the problem, since that message this morning the problem has not re-occurred, but with intermittent problems you never know when they are fixed. Do you know what my screen resolution should be set to ? (if this is connected to the problem at all)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2003, 18:02 »
Just another thought, along the "anything is worth a try" theory, assuming you run your games from shortcut icons on your desktop, how about right clicking the icon, then selecting the 'Shortcut' tab, and change the 'Run' option to 'Maximised'?  Below is a screenshot of what I mean.  That particular example is set to 'Normal Window', but you can change them, so that whenever you launch the shortcut, the window opens Maximised.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003, 21:37 »
The only shortcut icons i have on my desktop are internet explorer and msn explorer. All the problems i have had are from games that try to run when i insert the CD for the game that is already installed, or for games that are installed and have an entry visible when i click the start button in the bottom left hand corner which lists some frequently used programmes.

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2003, 21:59 »
At this time ( 9-10 PM) no programmes will run, they are all sent to the task bar and i am returned to the desk top. In one programme i can hear the sart up music playing but i cant see the game. At various times during today, all programmes were running fine. Could there be a task the computer is performing at certain times, not allowing these games to run ?( Although Control/Alt/Delete shows me the only programme running is the game itself)

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2003, 22:07 »
Having said that, i just tried another game and it works fine. Its so frustrating !!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2003, 22:14 »
Its so frustrating !!

Yes, it is, when you can't find the answer to something, especially as it will probably turn out to be something silly!   ::)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2003, 00:00 »
"frustrating"

Yes I know that feeling   :P
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2003, 00:42 »
I thought that I had replied about the screen res just after Simon posted that screenshot but its disappeared  ???

I cant see it being anything to do with the screen res as most games set it to their requirements and if the rest of the stuff on your pc look ok then I should leave it alone.
Its possibly still a direct X/graphic card driver issue so maybe try unistalling again and reinstalling  ???

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2003, 10:07 »
Yes, i have tried that before but since then the problem has re-occured. Do you think i should look for the latest driver for my card on the internet (even though my system is new) and download it. and should i un-install the old one before doing so.
Another thing i noticed last night was that one game which appeared above the start menu when to the task bar when i single clicked on it (then would not run from there) and ran OK when i double clicked on it.
This morning all games are working fine, even when connected to the internet.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2003, 13:28 »
I would definately look for the latest drivers on the manufacturers site as even though you have a new PC, the card that is fitted could have been in stock for a few months before the PC was actually built  :)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2003, 15:16 »
it sounds like EXPLORER is taking focus from all other applications.

Do you have active desktop running?

Perhaps there is some malicious software that takes the focus (but is invisible).

I have heard of this before, but alas, cannot remember the solution.

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2003, 16:20 »
Can you explain what active desktop is and how i tell if it is running ? Can i remove explorer ?

Offline Pwilsonscott

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2003, 16:37 »
I really feel that this is at the heart of the problem, something else running and "pushing the intended programme aside" if that makes any sense, but not all the time - leading to the intermittent nature of the problem. I guess its just a case of finding out what it is and making it stop. I am not sure what active desktop is though.When the problem occurs, it really seems as if the game is trying to show itself, ie the screen flickers a number of times before returning to the desktop. I mentioned before that double clicking on one game in particular on the start menu makes it run ok, but a single click sends it to the task bar- which seems very odd to me.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2003, 16:42 »
If you have a wallpaper set on your desktop then it is "Active".
Right click on an empty space on your desktop and select peoperties then Desktop from the tab at the top of the box that appears, then None from the list and apply.
That will remove the wallpaper and stop it being active.
If that solves the problem maybe we can work around it in some way.
If it doesnt and you want your wallpaper back then just select the wallpaper option again  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2003, 16:49 »
If you press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys together, just once, when the problem occurs again, you should then get the Windows Task Manager come up.  If you click the Processes tab, it will tell you what else is running on your system at that point in time.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum