Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Safe mode / no mouse  (Read 669 times)

Offline phil c

Safe mode / no mouse
« on: December 23, 2003, 09:26 »
Had a disaster last night with my PC. Switched the fuse box off but forgot my PC was on  :-[

When I rebooted it, its gone into a sort of safe mode but the mouse isn't operating (error Spool32 shuts down with problem with mmsystem.dll)

Operating system is Microsoft Millenium Edition

How can I get the system back to normal? I'm not getting the option to switch modes and re-booting didn't work. Looked in the Control Panel options but couldn't see anything.  :'(

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:Safe mode / no mouse
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 09:56 »
Several problems at once here which sounds like a corruption to either system.ini or your registry :(

Best bet is probably to do a system restore:
Click on start then programs then accessories then system tools.  Find and click on Restore and follow the prompts. (Hopefully you know how to navigate using the keys -  TAB, return and SPACE etc.)

Alternatively create a bootlog from the startup options (when it gives you the option of safe mode) and have a look in there. It will tell you all the things it had problems loading (a value of 2 for the error code after the name means "File not found").

BTW Is your mouse USB,serial or PS2? If USB then it might be worth you plugging in a PS2/Serial one to ease use until the problem is sorted.

Oh and:  :welcome:
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum