Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD recorders  (Read 14836 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:DVD recorders
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2003, 12:37 »
Unless, (like in my case), money is the deciding factor, then I would always go for something that does as much as possible so that it will last a few years without becoming obsolete as quickly as some of the models with less features will do.
My main use for recording from the TV is to watch later then scrub it so I would definately want a hard drive recorder in preference to one that just did it onto dvd.
As Clive has said on a couple of earlier threads, they all appear to use the same internal components and drive trains for VCRs and DVDs so I think that the build quality is mainly down to the finish and the appearance of the case Simon.
I like the flexibility of something like the Kiss player too as its probably going to be easier and cheaper to upgrade your pcs dvd writer to the new 9 gig ones that are about to come out than to get another dvd recorder capable of the 9 gig dvds when they come out probably 12 to 18 months later  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2003, 13:27 »
Unless, (like in my case), money is the deciding factor, then I would always go for something that does as much as possible so that it will last a few years without becoming obsolete as quickly as some of the models with less features will do.

Agreed, but most of the facilities on the Kiss (Full DVD/MPEG-4/DivX®/XviD/CD/MP3/Ogg Vorbis/CD-RW/DVD+-RW compatibility) are also available on other machines, and the one's that are not, i.e. DivX/XviD/Ogg Vorbis (not sure about MPEG-4), are not really what you would use for day-to-day recordings.  I would therefore rather get a (possibly) better manufactured known brand, but obviously that's just personal preference.  For £499, the same price as the Kiss, you can get a top of the range, multi-format Toshiba with a 60Gb Hard Drive.  See here.
My main use for recording from the TV is to watch later then scrub it so I would definately want a hard drive recorder in preference to one that just did it onto dvd.

If a Hard Drive DVDR is financially off limits, you could achive much the same results using DVD-RWs for your basic 'watch and wipe' recordings, and DVD-Rs for stuff you want to keep.

Features of the Toshiba RDXS30 include:

o Hard Disc and DVD-RAM/R Recorder (Region 2)
          o Recording Media: 60GB HDD / DVD-RAM / DVD-R
          o Use HDD for General Recording, DVD-RAM for Archiving & DVD-R for Giveaway Copies
          o Playback Media: DVD-RAM, DVD-R, HDD, DVD-Video, VCD, CD, CD-R/RW (CD-DA Only)
          o Selectable Recording Quality for Audio and Video
          o MP3 Playback
          o Quick & Easy Transfer of Recordings between HDD and DVD-RAM
          o High Speed Library Dubbing with Title / Chapter Name and Other Info
          o Time Slip Recording: Chase TV (Play during Recording), Pause TV and Simultaneous Record and Play
          o Create Thumbnail Menu when Recording onto DVD-R
          o Intuitive & Easy to Use Menus - Handle a Video Using Thumbnail Picture Based GUI
          o Library Function - up to 3000 Titles (999 Discs), Store Recordings by Genre
          o Auto Setup
          o Dolby Digital / DTS Output
          o 2 SCART
          o Digital Co-axial and Optical Audio Output
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2003, 13:34 »
I think youll find that without a hard drive you wont get many progs on a 4.7 gig dvd Simon, unless you drop the quality.
So if you were out for the evening and there was a film on and possibly a 30 min programme as well you wouldnt be able to record both.
I think that the Kiss players are actually German so I should think that they would be equally as good as the Toshiba which is probably assembled in China, Taiwan or Malaysia  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2003, 14:08 »
I believe you can get up to 4 hours on a DVD-RW, if you drop the quality to the equivalent of S-VHS, which is still better than standard video quality, and if you only want to watch it once, that should be perfectly acceptable, especially if it is recorded from a digital source, such as Sky or Freeview.  Yes, you can obviously get more on a 60Gb hard drive - I was pointing out the cheaper alternative.  I'm not going to keep arguing about the Kiss thing, but apart from anything else, it looks cheap and horrible and it's got a stupid name, so I certainly wouldn't buy one.   :P
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2003, 14:15 »
Well I definately wouldnt consider buying one that would only record or possibly playback either + or - formats  ::)
The - format may turn out to be the Betamax of dvds in a year or two  :o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2003, 15:04 »
Well, I suppose that's true, but it could equally go the other way, so what do you do?  Wait 5 years for the format wars to end, or live for the moment, and take the plunge one way or t'other?  The majority at the moment are the - format, and unless you go for something cheap and horrid looking like the Kiss, you're not going to get a multi-format for under £500.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2003, 15:09 »
Good afternoon, all.  :D. I have been out in my garden all morning placing all the lovely garden ornaments I got from Santa. :D.

Clive and I are simple souls so I will give you the benefit of my limited knowledge of DVD recorders.
I bought the philips dvd recorder for my daughter's birthday and it was really cheap considering all the other expensive models (£249). It records at + format and extends up to 6 hours, although the quality at 6 hours is only as good as vcr quality at long play.
It came with 5 free recordable discs which she can use over and over again just like video cassettes.    If it was me Clive, I would not venture into the more expensive models at this time as, like Sandra says newer models are coming onto the market every day.  I was given a free panasonic dvd player with my new television but it plays - format dvd-rs so I don't think I will be able to play back anything that my daughter has recorded on hers but as I got it for nothing I am not bothered. Mine will play vcds and svcds and the usual cds. Unfortunately it does not play divx but I can live without that in the meantime until the market makes up it's mind where it is going. Watch the sales Clive and you could pick up a bargain.  :D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2003, 16:23 »
The big problem with waiting is technology is improving so fast that there will always be something better around the corner.  I think that you have to draw the line somewhere and make a decision.  That buying guide is just what I've been looking for as it actually tells you which features each model has in simple terms.  I don't subscribe to any of the movie channels and would be more likely to buy a copy of any film I wanted as opposed to recording it.  It would be used mostly for recording the likes of Agatha Christie (Mrs Clive's favourite) or hour-long programmes such as Horizon.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2003, 16:39 »
We seem to be getting bogged down with compatabilities with other machines.  Surely if you can record something and watch it back, that's really all you need to worry about, unless you are regularly recording things for other people.  One of my criteria is that I want one which has Freeview Set Top Box control, which my current VCRs both have, but it's not looking too hopeful on that front at the moment.  This means I would also have to look for a new Freeview STB, as my current one doesn't have a usable timer facility.   :-\

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2003, 18:59 »
Well, I think I'm going to settle for the Pioneer DVR3100S which can be seen here:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=PIO-DVR3100S&clear=

I'm away in London until Tuesday so I will order it online when I return.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2003, 19:33 »
I've been meaning to get a dvd recoeder for a while,but that fiend Santa Claus has drained the bank account dry.

I dont know why people worry about compatability of the formats, both +R and -R are around 90% compatible i.e. both formats will play in the majority of players. I dont think there is a format war a la vhs/betamax/philips and anyway once blue ray (and its various formats !!!!!) come along then the current formats may well be phased out.

Based on numerous reviews and experience of the brand i personally would buy a panasonic recorder. I'd originally liked the look of the philips models but i seem to have read numerous reports of various software/hardware failures when they are still nearly new.  

As to the hard drive option, i think it would probably be the perfect solution, archive what you want, erase the rest.  My only misgiving would be the fragility of hard discs, a subject close to my heart.  The ideal scenario might then be seperates
 ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2003, 22:00 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2003, 22:15 »
The thing about the Panasonic is that it's DVD-RAM, but not DVD-RW.  DVD-RAM is apparently the most versitile when it comes to editing, but to play DVDs recorded on a Panny, on another machine, would require them to be copied to 'one write' DVD-Rs.  This is another dilemma, in that DVD-RAM discs are around a fiver each, for a 4.7Gb, but DVD-RW discs are only about £2 for 3 discs!  What I'm not certain about is whether DVD-RW discs intended for a PC can also be used in DVD Recorders.

Bloody confusing isn't it!   :-\

Edit:  I think I would also go for the Pioneer.  It seems to have all the features I need.  I think I might see if it comes down in price a bit first though.

Second Edit:  It's cheaper here, but I've never used them:
 http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=1981

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2003, 23:17 »
That settles it then Simon.  The Pioneer it will be.  I'll order it on Tuesday so hopefully it will arrive by next weekend.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2003, 23:27 »
I'm finding it difficult to resist myself, Clive!   :-\

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum