Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVD recorders  (Read 14888 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:DVD recorders
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2003, 23:30 »
before you make up your mind Clive. Try this site out

http://www.srtl.co.uk/srtl/dvdr.html
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2003, 23:37 »
I'm sure that they have already dropped quite a bit in price since I first started looking at them a few weeks ago.  In a year's time they will probably be £199 but I don't want to wait that long.  The plasma TV which I bought exactly a year ago has fallen considerably in price, but then I've had a whole year of wonderful pleasure out of it and I don't begrudge the money I've lost on it at all.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2003, 23:40 »
:aarrgh:  Lona!   ;D  My mind is made up now.  That's always the most difficult part for me.   ;D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2003, 23:52 »
Worth having a look here to give you a price including delivery... ;)

I notice for £20 more you can have it multiregional too... :o ;) 8)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2003, 06:45 »
Multiregional would be even better!  Good find Camstop.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2003, 10:12 »
Having multi-region would certainly be an advantage if it were to be your main DVD Player, or if you didn't already have a multi-region player, however, bear in mind you can't watch a different disc while you are recording on another, i.e., you can't watch a DVD movie, while recording something on TV, as you can only have one disc in the machine at a time.  I suppose this is where the Hard Drive machine would have the advantage, but if you have another DVD Player which will play DVD-RWs, it's not really an issue.  Are you going for the Hard Drive version of the Pioneer, Clive?  As I already have a multi-region player, I have no real need of another, so will be going for the non-hard drive Pioneer DVR-3100 (Region 2) for £349.

Edit: Gulp!  :o  I've done it!  Ordered from link above.  I don't have much hope that it will arrive next week, but it will be a nice surprise if it does!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2003, 20:57 »
I already have a multiregional DVD player which I intend to keep in the system so I will take your advice and get the region 2.  I hope you haven't had the last one Simon as I can't order mine until I get home from London in case it turns up while I'm away.   ;D

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2003, 15:16 »
Thought I'd stick my oar in here (having had one for about 18 months now :))

There never really was a format war - all DVDs have to conform to certain physical attributes, it's just the way data is laid out that is different.

DVD-r and +r are pretty much identical in terms of compatability on other players. Early +R recorders had a few problems (thats why the Philips recorders had an option to 'tweak' the recording to make them play on some machines). There were also reliability issues with early machines (Philips had a problem with machines dying while the Panasonic was a bit choosy over discs).

DVD-Ram best format for editing and timeslip, Treats the disc as a big floppy/drive to all intents and purposes. Main advantage is it allows timeslip as standard. This is because of the drive  analogy where you can read a file while writing one out. RAM discs come in two forms - caddied (about £5) and uncaddied (about £2). Difference is the caddied ones should be good for about 100,000 re-recordings compared to the uncaddied which are good for about 1000. Disadvantages: not as compatible as other formats when you try and play a disc on other machines.

DVDRW (plus and minus) both re-recordable formats. Discs good for about 1000 recordings. Advantage: can be used on other machines quite easily (usually). Disadvantages: +RW uses constant bit rate recording

As DVD plus is an 'unofficial' format that has not been approved by the DVD consortium then there is no guarantee it is likely to be supported by all players (for some reason my panasonics don't like them :))

Latest Pioneer drive has it's own 'new' format (VR mode) to enable the timeslip function, this is NOT compatible with other players.

Hard drives - A few recorders have hard drives built in which can be used to extend the record time and also have a few features like high speed dubbing to/from disc.

What it comes down to is "how do you intend using the recorder"?

Nearest to a VCR is probably the RAM range (as you can just delete parts of programs to free up space, with +/- RW you don't get free space back until the disc is reformatted or a recording is deleted). The compatability issue isn't usually a problem as when was the last time you loaned a recording out?

Alternativly there are some hard drive recorders (Tivo style) that only allow you to record to hard drive and have a DVD PLAYER included - this has the advantage of a larger storage but there is no way to then transfer the recording to someone else.

Also worth mentioning that you can't 'dub' from one player to a dvd-recorder unless macrovision and cgms has been disabled on the player.

Swings and roundabouts :)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2003, 16:38 »
So are you saying that the Pioneer which Simon and I are buying is incompatible with other DVD players?  Or is our model not the "latest" drive?  Getting worried again now!

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2003, 16:43 »
Not exactly :)

If you record in the format that allows you to use timeslip then the discs will be incompatible. If you record in standard DVD+/-RW mode then they will work.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2003, 16:47 »
Phew!  Thanks Dack.   ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2003, 16:51 »
Why don't you just go to the picture, Clive. Next year you will get in for pensioner's rate.  ;D ;D ;D

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2003, 17:05 »
:wahh: :bart:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2003, 17:21 »

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2003, 17:51 »

So are you saying that the Pioneer which Simon and I are buying is incompatible with other DVD players?  Or is our model not the "latest" drive?  Getting worried again now!

Of course if you had got the Kiss player you could always have recorded it on your pcs dvd writer and then it would work on all dvd players as well as having its built in hard drive for timeslip and stuff that  you didnt want to keep forever  :P

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum