Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Calling A TV/Video Techie!  (Read 9860 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Calling A TV/Video Techie!
« on: January 07, 2004, 18:03 »
As I may have mentioned, I'm soon to be getting a DVD Recorder, when they finally get round to shipping it.  >:(   However (you'll like this Clive), I read a review of the said machine (Pioneer DVR3100) in Home Cinema Choice magazine, and it said quite specifically that this machine, along with most others of the current generation, will not record in RGB.  Given that most of my recordings will be made from a Digital Set Top Box, which only outputs RGB or Composite, this is a bit of a bugger, as Composite Video is barely better quality than VHS.

The machine will, however, record in S-Video, which I am told is not noticably inferior to RGB, but this will mean replacing my current Freeview set top box with one that outputs S-Video.  I'm uncertain if this will be worthwhile, but I do want to get the best out of the DVDR.

What I want to know is this.  If I record in S-Video, does this mean I have to also set the DVDR to play it back in S-Video, thus losing the advantage of RGB loopthrough from the DigiBox, or can I still play back in RGB, and will it be RGB quality?

I have also been told that the DVDR records in all formats anyway (RGB, S-Video and Composite), and it is the source which makes the difference, so (this is the bit I can't get my head round), if I use the RGB output from the DigiBox to record to the DVDR, but the DVDR will not accept an RGB signal to record, can I then still play it back in RGB, and what will the quality be like?

I hope this is as confusing to most of you as it is to me. I just need it explained in very simple terms, please.

Clive - this is getting complicated and I haven't even got the damned thing yet!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Calling A TV/Video Techie!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 18:08 »
Hookstar sits back and watches another saga run

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 18:18 »
Trouble is, Hook, I don't think there's that many TV Techies among us.   :'(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 18:27 »

What I want to know is this.  If I record in S-Video, does this mean I have to also set the DVDR to play it back in S-Video, thus losing the advantage of RGB loopthrough from the DigiBox, or can I still play back in RGB, and will it be RGB quality?

I wish you lot would stop in different langagues
its all french to me  ::) ;D ;)

I'd love to say I know what you are on about Simon............ but I can't  :-[  ::)
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 18:30 »
Hookstar picks up another book.....this time War & Peace to read waiting on the outcome

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 18:32 »
Simon..in all seriousnessssss I am going out for a couple of pints tonight (nothing new there then) I have a mate who is a TV techie in real life, I have printed off your problem and I will show him later.

Hookstar

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 19:10 »
Thanks Hook.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 19:30 »
This is starting to get worrying Simon.  I presumed that the connections were coax, just like a VCR since the Philips model I saw in Currys had those connections.  I've connected my current DVD player to my receiver using an optical cable.  With the delivery times they quoted me, yours should have turned up by now.  I was expecting mine to arrive by Friday!

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 19:36 »
See your PM Clive.  The aerial connections are with a coax, like a VCR, but to get the RGB output, thus the best picture quality, you need to use fully pinned scart leads.  Your current DVD must use scarts, as they usually connect that way.  The RGB loopthrough will go from thye DVDR, through your current DVD scart, to the TV scart input.  It's not the connections I was worried about, it's the output and recording modes.

I ordered mine on Dec 28th, and it's still showing as 'Scheduling Delivery' on the website Order Status, which hasn't changed since last week.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 19:44 »
I'm sorry Simon, but the "lights are on but no-ones home" flashed up halfway through your post.   ;D  I will have to wait until I get the instruction book with pretty diagrams for Mrs Clive to visualise all this.   ;D

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 23:43 »
My man said Scarts all the way through as you will lose signal strength through coax, apart from that everything should be ok with HQ discs  ;)

Offline Scrumpy-Jack

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 00:56 »
Hi Simon

I've been ordered to reply by Sandra   :o     ;)

You should notice no significant difference in quality between an S VIDEO and RGB input. Both avoids the PAL encoding/Decoding process which is the troublesome bit.

If the DVDR has an output SCART socket then RGB OUT should be available there .

I'm surprised that RGB input recording isn't offered as it makes no real difference to the digitising chips in the recorder. No doubt a software upgrade will be made available in the future if the SCART socket is fully wired.

Best of Luck.   :)

BTW ..HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone on PC-PALS and KEEP UP the GOOD WORK  .   ;D

Pass me another Flagon. ....Scrumpy-Jack    8)

To do is to be." -- Socrates
"To be is to do." -- Sartre
"Do be do be do..." -- Sinatra

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 14:03 »
Well mine has turned up today and I've taken a quick look inside the box.  It has connections for SCART (not supplied!) s video, optical and RGB output so it appears there are plenty of options.  They didn't include a DVD to record on - how mean is that?   ;D  Also, it said in the advert that I was entitled to 3 out of 5 (albeit crappy) DVD films yet there is no mention of them.  Also free plane tickets to God knows where, but where are they??  

I won't actually be setting it up for a week or so as we have decorators in all next week and the home cinema will have to be dismantled for a few days.

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 14:31 »
Mine also turned up today - a Sony RDR-GX3.  Will be setting it up tonight...

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!![/b][/size]  

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 16:38 »
That was quick Simon!  You can be guinea pig.  ;D
Question 1.  My DVD players use "DVD video" discs so I presume I have to buy blank DVD video format for my recorder?  Viking, who I buy all that sort of stuff from don't seem to stock them.   :'(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum