Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: sort dialup networking  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
sort dialup networking
« on: November 05, 2002, 16:04 »
my isp connection keeps cutting off. I don't think it is the isp at fault as nobody else seems to be suffering. Is there anything I should be checking? I recently downloaded explorer6. I have tried everything I can think of as to what could be causing the problem.
I uninstalled msn messenger as it was the worst offender and I constantly got cut off when using it but the problem still exists.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:sort dialup networking
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 17:00 »
Click on Tools at the top of your screen

Internet options

Connections

Settings

Advanced

Does the box say "stay connected for 20 mins"?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 17:03 »
Oh noooo!!  I've been trying to sort out a similar problem on a friends PC for ages now.

First, have you checked that Outlook Express is not set to disconnect after sending / receiving?  It's set by default to do so, so you have to turn it off (in OE) in Tools > Options > Connections.

Next go to IE Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings > Advanced, and make sure nothing is set to Auto Disconnect.

Try those first, Lona, and come back to us if it doesn't help, then we'll have a look at your Modem Speed and Port Settings.  If you know how to change these, set them both to 115200.  That might help.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 17:27 »
We were working on Lona's problem simulataneously Simon.  ;D
I had that Outook Express problem on my 1900XP and it drove my wife crazy until SHE sorted it out.  ;D Don't you just hate clever women?  ;D  Oh oh!  She's looking over my shoulder!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 17:31 »
Well, great minds think alike, Clive!!

Now, butt out, so I can raise my posting total!!   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 17:34 »
We will both be up to 20 by Christmas at this rate Simon!   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2002, 21:00 »
:)Thanks Simon and Clive. Unfortunately all the things you mentioned are A ok. At the moment things seem to be staying connected. It comes on fits and starts. Like last night things were fine but to-day I gave up as it was disconnections every five minutes. When I logged on tonite, same thing but in the last half hour it has been fine. I am also experiencing freezing and some websites won't load. Google which is the fastest to load just would not load to-day at all. I will keep you posted just to keep up your posts if nothing else. How come I only have 3? ??? ???

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 21:36 »
Might be worth getting BT to check out your phone line, Lona.  With the wet weather, sometimes water gets in and causes problems.   :(

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 21:58 »
You don't have call waiting enabled on your phone, do you? that can cause problems, but you must have lots of people phoning you every 5 mins ;)

Have you tried deleting the dial up and reinstalling it?
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 22:04 »
At the moment we are only counting techhie forums but I believe the Saint intends to change that to count most of the other forum posts as well soon.  He's working his fingers down to the bone.  :D  So much to do, so little time.  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 22:42 »
As Simon said it could be the line but I was thinking as youre in a rather windy exposed location could it be that you have an overhead line which may be a bit worn and is whipping about in the wind?
This can sometimes cause havoc at times and yet appear ok at other times  :-*

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 22:55 »
Yes it could be a 'noisy' line, BT will check it out for you. It could also be the opposite and you need the gain increasing
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 23:48 »
well folks, have had the gain turned up, don't have calls waiting, but you are right Bat69 I do have folks calling me a lot and I do have 1571 that cuts me off and I always know someone is wanting me. Sandra you seem to be the closest. I have a huge telegraph pole outside almost in my garden, but then it wasn't windy to-day ;D. We have had a lot of rain and funny enough their was a guy from BT working on that pole just before my problems began. I mentioned it to BT when I asked them to turn up the gain on my line, but you know BT, they just fob you off. Things have been not too bad tonite.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum