Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: You Guys are Heaven Sent  (Read 10924 times)

Offline Butterfly

You Guys are Heaven Sent
« on: February 03, 2004, 17:24 »
Hi People,
I'm having tremendous trouble trying to install my new Lexmark X1100 multifunction printer.  This is quite a long story so I'll try to keep it as brief as possible  :-\  I use windows XP Professional & I have Broadband

I followed Lexmark instructions on installing printer......as soon as printer was connected via USB port my 'puter froze :'(

I uninstalled and re-installed...same prob!

I went to Lexmark site and followed instructions for installation on XP.....same prob.

I uninstalled and re-installed using wizard.....same prob  ???

I phoned the Lexmark helpline.....they were stumped! The guy says "It's not meant to be this hard, that's the beauty of these USB devices, just plug them in and that's it"  :o  Then they said that they thought I had a faulty printer and to have it replaced.....I did this.......same prob with 2nd printer

I spoke to a friend who suggested that it may be Norton Antivirus causing the problem......I uninstalled Norton & installed PCcillan......same prob occured :-X

I went to Lexmark site and downloaded driver update for XP.....same prob :'(

If I disconnect my broadband the printer works fine......as soon as broadband and printer are connected together my 'puter freezes........can anyone help me?  :'(

Butterfly

wave: The Elusive Butterfly  xxx

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:You Guys are Heaven Sent
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 17:58 »
Hi Butterfly, and  

I'm no expert, but this sounds like a possible USB power issue.  Is the printer powered from the USB, or is it mains powered?   Hopefully one of our techies will be able to help you properly soon.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 17:59 »
Could be several things but I'd hazzard a guess that you've got a USB modem :)

This applies only if you have a USB modem
It might simply be that the printer and modem are trying to drag too much current from the USB port and as a result the computer s freezing.

One thing worth trying would be seeing if the printer powers up when you don't have the modem attached.

This would apply if you have it connected via network card
You may need to update your USB drivers - I take it you have installed service pack 1 for XP which installs the USB 2.0 support.

Oh and :welcome:
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Butterfly

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 18:16 »
Hi & Thanks for replies & Welcomes :)

Yes printer is connected via USB port & modem is connected via USB port (I only have 2 USB ports)

The printer works fine when modem cable is disconnected.

I have no idea what a network card is  :doh:

The XP issue is top secret :naughty: so I'm not able to download Sevice pack 1 but this issue may be resolved by the end of the month ;)

:not:

Butterly

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 18:41 »
Simplest solution would seem to be buying a powered external hub (or an internal USB card). Just make sure the hub is a powered one and not passive i.e. it's got a separate power supply. Cost is about £15.

You should then be able to get both modem and printer running at the same time - you would also probably get an extra 2 USB ports thrown in (as most USB hubs come with 4 ports). Connect the hub to the computer and the modem and printer to the hub.

WRT service pack1 - you may want to search on google for "changing xp product key" (fouth entry). It just tells you how to change the number when you get a new copy so you don't have to go through the nause of reformatting the disc.

Offline Butterfly

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 20:38 »
Thank you.. :thanks:.I will surely try that.  I was just having a look at PC World and found one or two that I think have their own power supply....would you mind confirming for me....they are:-

Connect up to 7 USB devices
Add new peripherals -no power down on PC
Functions by itself or Belkin BusStation
Prevents damage to your PC at every port

7 port hub description
Connect 7 devices
 Inc power supply
 Customizable

:waving: Butterfly

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 21:36 »
Depends how much you want to spend :)

This will more than meet you needs and is £5.87 plus postage
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=32312

Total of £8.21 delivered by next Monday.

(£19.96 if you really must have next day, and £12.33 if you want it by Friday)

Offline Butterfly

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 22:14 »
Hi,

Thanks for the link.....I just went and had a look and I have to say that some of the reviews are a bit worrying :horror: :soz:  I much prefer to buy stuff from real life stores....if they don't work I can take them back, but thanks anyway :thanks:
 :wave: Butterfly

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 22:24 »
I much prefer to buy stuff from real life stores...

That's an expensive habit!  :horror:  ;D ;D  You do have a point though.  Much as I enjoy Internet shopping, it is quite a hassle if you need to return something.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Butterfly

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 22:29 »
Well only the best for my 'puter :tony:........lol

:wave:Butterfly

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 22:31 »
No worries - hadn't read the reviews, just saw the average score :)

It's worth checking out local (non-PCWorld) stores as they tend to have much more competative prices. PCWorld do have some bargains but they make up for thase by being extortionate on others e.g. DVD-R. Usual price from online and fairs about £1 each for a good quality disc, £1.40 for a 4x Maxell in Staples - PCWorld 'packard bell' (not very good quality at all) = £3.90.

Recently been buying stuff from Comet, Staples, Argos and local stores. You also have the option of computer fairs (got one here on Sunday in fact).

Buying online is usually cheaper and you are covered by the distance selling act which means you have upto about 7 days to send the item back (at your expense) if you decide not to have it.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 22:35 »
Well Butterfly, I am known as the forum Luddite (maybe it's because I still use a Sinclair Spectrum instead of a PC) but I have never found any problems ordering goods online.  I have never been let down, the goods have always worked, delivery has been fast and the price has always been cheap.  I usually go on forum members recomendations so why not give it a shot?

Offline Butterfly

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2004, 22:39 »
Hiya,

Well the way things have been going for me with this 'puter prob.......I'll be very lucky to get it to work within 7 days :brick:  You're quite right though I should shop around.........I blame the big companies, the ones that make it easy for us to buy online! :peep:

Offline Butterfly

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 22:46 »
Hi Luddite ;)

You sneaked that message in when I wasn't lookin'.  I'll surely give it a try  :thanks:

:goodnews:YOU GUYS DESERVE A MEDAL

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 00:35 »

Hi Luddite ;)

:pmsl:

You've started something now, Clive.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.