Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pop Goes The Weasels  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Pop Goes The Weasels
« on: March 12, 2003, 22:26 »
Not too keen on pop-up ads?  That's a pity, because life is about to get a whole lot more interesting.  This article reveals that a new spin on the dreaded pop-up will soon be taking you places you'd never dreamt of!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Pop Goes The Weasels
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 22:36 »
I use pop-up stopper but it only has limited success dealing with intrusions.  I find pop-ups are very irritating.  I notice that AOL are about to introduce a system to prevent pop-ups which are even more prevalent if you use that ISP.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 22:52 »
Hmm, don't like pup ops, or unders, but I find the more agressive pop up stoppers tend to also block stuff you want, i.e. pages on here from the Search New function.

Pop Up Stopper is the best one I've found so far.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 23:28 »
I know that it must look like I am promoting it at times (believe me, I have no interest, financial or otherwise in the company) but the Opera browser, which I prefer to use, has its own built in pop-up stopper and I never see popups.  If it is preventing me from viewing pages I want to, it is simply a matter of hitting the F12 key to bring up the Quick Preferences menu and clicking on "Allow Popup Windows".

I have a  program called Popup Cop installed on Internet Explorer, but as I rarely use the browser I can't really comment on its effectiveness.  What i can tell you about it, is that it installs as a toolbar and as many functions including a cookie manager, which by clicking on the "Cookie"  button allows you to stop all cookies, ask  before accepting cookies, or allow all cookies.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 23:34 »

I know that it must look like I am promoting it at times

It saves me having to do it Dave  ;)

The folk here are quite stubborn in their reliance on Internet Exploder ::) and let small matters such as obscure DVD sites not displaying properly, stop them from using an obviously superior browser.

They'll come round eventually, if we nag them enough ;D :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 23:47 »
The folk here are quite stubborn in their reliance on Internet Exploder ::) and let small matters such as obscure DVD sites not displaying properly, stop them from using an obviously superior browser.

Pah!  That 'obscure DVD site' happens to offer the cheapest Region 1 DVDs available on the Internet!

I did actually try Opera for a couple of days, but quite frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about.  It was a bit over crowded with tool bars for me, and yes I know these can be removed, as can the ads (laa laa la la la Sean!)  ;)  but then it's not much different functionally to IE, and the thing I missed most was my Google Toolbar.

Anyway, why *cough* pay for an alternative browser, when the overall best one is available free?   ::)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 00:13 »
Water pistols at dawn guys  ;) :P

Since using popup stopper, they don't bother me ... when I am on Pals, I turn it off as we have no popups here ... but elsewhere I use it and just hit the CTRL key when I want a link

I'll stick to IE for now ... maybe try Opera later when I get sick of IE again  ::)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum