Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web Browser THE BEST ?  (Read 87971 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Web Browser THE BEST ?
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2003, 08:46 »
You probably had Backweb bundled in with some other software you installed, Michelle.  If it's in Add / Remove, as Lona suggested, bin it from there, then update and run Ad Aware and Spybot, and remove any instances they find.

Now, this Spyware Blaster of yours.   ::)  I'm not sure if it would detect spyware if it has been installed within other software.  I think it may only stop it being downloaded from web pages, but not certain about that.  Anyway, have you definitely got the latest version (2.6.1), and have you definitely updated it?  After it has loaded the new definitions, you have to press 'Select All', then 'Protect Against Checked Items' to activate the protection for the new definitions.  That bit could be missed (especially if you are blonde - heehee), but if you don't do that part, you might as well not have Spyware Blaster at all.  Sorry if that's stating the bleeding obvious, but somehow spyware is getting through your defences, so it needs to be established how this is happening.  Suggest you have a look at the list in SB, and see if there are any unchecked items (they will be in red).

It could well be that, although Mozilla doesn't block spyware as far as I know, something is being prevented from 'phoning home' when you use Moz, which could be causing it to crash.  If you have programs which rely on spyware to work properly, they are not worth having, in my opinion, and you should seek alternatives.

Here endeth this morning's lecture!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2003, 11:26 »
I have done all that you said on the spyblaster thing simon, you did tell me all that when I first got it, and I do as I'm told (mostly)  ;D but do I have to click on it everytime I go on line to tell it to work?

With regard to the backweb thing its dawned on me that if it isn't to do with mozilla, the only new thing I've had on the puter is my boyfriend put his kodac camera software on it yesterday so its probably come with that. I've taken it off with spybot and I'll do that add and remove incase there's anything else there, thanks lona and simon.

eek I've got a new keyboard and mouse and its very weird, this keyboard is gonna take some getting used to its smaller than my old one, and simon, I impulse bought the 5 button mouse, it was from staples so I know much more expense than probably else where but I had to try it :lol:

I am so easily lead  :o  ;D
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2003, 11:38 »
According to the info in the link both Dave and myself posted, Backweb does come bundled in with Kodak software.  You don't actually need the software to view pictures from the camera.  You should be able to use Paint Shop Pro, or whatever your existing picture viewing software is, and you just need to plug the camera into the PC by the USB.  XP has it's own picture viewing software, but not sure if ME does.

If that new keyboard and mouse happens to be Logitech, apparently Backweb is bundled in with that too!   ::)
do I have to click on [spyware blaster] everytime I go on line to tell it to work?

No you don't have to have it running all the time.  It does it's job and that's that, until you need to update it again.  Sorry Michelle, I wasn't being funny, it's just that so many people don't update their protection properly, or regularly, I tend to drum it in a bit!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2003, 11:46 »

According to the info in the link both Dave and myself posted, Backweb does come bundled in with Kodak software.

If that new keyboard and mouse happens to be Logitech, apparently Backweb is bundled in with that too!   ::)

Sorry Michelle, I wasn't being funny

Oh sorry did you say that it was with kodak ? doh, I didn't really pay attention to what the camera was until last night.

No I've only put them keyboard and mouse on today - and its "trust"

I know you weren't being funny simon, remind me all you like, you know what a dizzy I am :lol:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2003, 08:08 »
Update -

Am still using Mozilla, and I do like it, have had a couple of shutdown problems and one crash since I reinstalled it but thats probably other things.

;D  ;D

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2003, 11:08 »
and one crash since I reinstalled it but thats probably other things.

Wimen drivers..tut. ::).They never take the blame.. ;) :P :-X

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2003, 15:04 »
Cam ............  :wahh: :slug:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2003, 15:29 »
Only did it because Hotmail was playing up (which it has started doing again today...)

Whitedevil.  You do realise that you could get a free @yahoo.co.uk webmail address, which can then be converted to pop3 at no cost?

If you want to know more, send me a pm and I'll post instructions here.

Offline WhiteDevil

« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2003, 16:47 »

Whitedevil.  You do realise that you could get a free @yahoo.co.uk webmail address, which can then be converted to pop3 at no cost?

Im signing now Dave, Hotmail is beginning to annoy me majorly...
dam Boyle
Owner, Director
www.Severn-Computers.com

Offline GSS

• Loyal Member
    • artzone4u.com
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2003, 21:42 »
i use avant browser
www.artzone4u.com

banner coming soon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2003, 14:50 »
And here's a list of delights for the new version (1.6), which is at the alpha testing stage at this moment, but is available to download for the more adventurous:

New Features and Fixes

* One of the most requested Mozilla Mail features, optional separate Recipient and Sender columns in thread pane, has been implemented.

* Backend support for Navigator windows to be layered or anchored "always in front" or "always in back" has been added. You can get the UI extension Window Layers from mozdev.org to try the feature (not working for Linux).

* One step closer to the kitchen sink, about:about has been implemented. Typing about:about in the address field will give the user a nice list of available about:s.

* Another massively requested MailNews feature, a preference for placing the user's signature above the quoted text, has been added.

* The View Source window now has reload functionality.

* "Remove from server after x days" has been implemented for POP3 mail accounts.

* vCard support has been added to Mozilla Mail.

Adept

« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2003, 16:03 »
Not much there worth upgrading for is there?  :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2003, 18:23 »
It's mostly the mail client isn't it.   Perhaps there will be some other bits by the time the beta and end versions come out.

Offline katz49

• New Registration
    • http://www.katz49.karoo.net
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2003, 22:18 »
Is this a fashion topic, who got the prettiest pc. ;D

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2003, 22:22 »
Nope, guess again.  You have 499 lives left.   ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum