Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Email accounts, UK based...  (Read 1332 times)

Offline thegallery

Email accounts, UK based...
« on: June 28, 2007, 19:32 »
My brother wants me to set up email addresses for him and his family. We could pick a domain name and go that route, but then again, I'd like each of them to have an address that is easily accessible from anywhere. I know I can do that with a domain too, but some of the benefits of an established web-based email may be worth it, not to mention cost and savings in hassle.

He is computer literate, but not much! It would be nice to set him up with an 'administrator' email and then sub accounts for the rest of them. They kids are pretty young so if he can monitor what they are up too that would be best. And some kine of spam/virus filter or even age related filter might be a good option too.

I was wondering if any of you had thoughts on this and what UK services you might recommend?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Email accounts, UK based...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 19:48 »
YAHOO MAIL is very easy to set up and will give you as many sub accounts as you need.  It also has a good spam filter and can be accessed from anywhere in the world.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 20:52 »
You could also look at Google Mail.  You would need an invite to get the initial account, but if you PM me, I can sort that for you.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline thegallery

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:23 »
thanks guys,

do you know if gmail or yahoo can also be accessed through a mail program, i.e. Outlook?

My brother already uses Outlook for work and I'm thinking it would be great if he could also collect and operate the mail through  the same system if he chooses.

I myself have a couple of secondary accounts and automatically sort incoming mail into their particular folders. Any idea if this is possible with one of the online systems?

Simon, I have a gmail account too but hardly use it because I generally use Outlook too. But I know everyone is raving about the system and all the new features they keep adding. Thanks for the offer and I'll be sure to take advantage if we decide to go that route.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:18 »
You can certainly access Yahoo mail via Outlook Express so I would assume that Outlook must work too.  I'm sure that you would be able to do so with GMail too.  I thought that you no longer need an invitation to obtain GMail these days Simon?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41 »
You can access Gmail though any mail client, and yes, having now checked, it seems no invitation is required.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:56 »
You can access Gmail though any mail client, and yes, having now checked, it seems no invitation is required.

Yes, they opened it up to everyone a few months back. I don't feel very special anymore!!

Note that if you get a Gmail account in the UK, you now get a @googlemail.co.uk address.

DJ

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 13:40 »
Tragically, I still had 98 invites left!  :bawl:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 15:04 »
98 was a strange quantity of invites to be given Simon.     ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum