Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: MSN problem  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
MSN problem
« on: August 04, 2009, 23:06 »
Hi Guys

Can anyone help?  I am unable to access anything to do with MSN messenger or MSN home website (which is set as my home page( on my main PC. As soon as I turn the PC on the BSOD appears saying I must uninstall any anti virus program but I cant get any further than the BSOD to fix it.  I have been having trouble with my PC for many days but all of a sudden this blue screen apeared and I cant get further in. Have anyone any answers as to how I fix this problem

Thanks x

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: MSN problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 23:42 »
So, are you already in Windows when the blue screen appears?  Are you saying it only happens when you try to access MSN messenger or web pages?  Have you tried a different browser?  Sorry for all the questions, Bev, but I think we need to establish exactly what's happening.  Does the blues screen contain anything like some sort of demand for payment?  Just wondering if it's what Clive posted about earlier?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 00:49 »
Can you get into safe mode and run an AV scan in there ?

Did you get my email in reply to the dodgy looking one that came from your msn account a couple of weeks ago containing 3 jpgs that were actually .exes ?
Lona got the same one from you as well so I asked if youd actually sent them or had you got something using your pc  :dunno:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:17 »
Some old bat from Cardiff rang me this morning just after 10-30am  ::)

Apparently her file system is corrupt, bit like her brain I suppose, can anyone imagine someone ringing me so early, especially when I didnt get to bed until after 4am  >:(

Anyway shes getting the error message 0x000024.

To fix this it looks like she needs to run CHKDSK /F  but it seems that people are having problems doing this as they are unable to boot off the XP CD.

To get around this some people are having success by using Hirens Boot CD available from here :

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

Select the version you want and then click the download link under the version box, 9.9 is the latest and you may as well get the one with keyboard suport that comes up by default.

Burn the download to a bootable CD and then boot off it and find a tool that allows you to use the CHKDSK /F command, theres a tool called NTFS 4 Dos 1.9 under the NTFS (FileSystems) Tools section that should allow you to use this command.

Good luck  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:48 »
Thanks Sandra.  I can't believe how she manages to wreck her computer so often!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 22:55 »
All sorted  :thumbs: thanks for your help Sandra  :-* 

I downloaded the Hirens Boot CD v9.9 which had a mini XP program and by changing the boot sequence I managed to get into safe mode. Updated & ran AVG (cleaned out all the cwap!) did system restore and it is now running perfectly.

Happy days   :danceban:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 23:06 »
 :thumbs:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 00:36 »
She was able to run the CHKDSK /F command in the run box when she got into MINI XP which scheduled it to run on the next restart.
Thats what actually fixed the non booting problem.

The other stuff she did afterwards was to get rid of some nasties that were also on the pc.

The MINI XP is a new addition to the last few versions of Hirens Boot CD and looks like a very useful utility. It gives you the option when booting from the CD to Boot from CD, MINI XP or Boot from the Hard Drive plus another option that I cant remember at the moment.

Alls well that ends well  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum