Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: networking problems  (Read 1346 times)

Offline twiggy

networking problems
« on: February 07, 2004, 23:15 »
i have jsut set up a networking system containg to pc's, one swicth/hub and a boardband connection. now i installed the netwroking software of the cd on to both computers. in the network connections window (network neibourghood on other pc) they both reconsize them sleve but not the other computer on the net work how can i  fix this? coz i cant share fiesl or ought between them?

thanks mark

Offline twiggy

Re:networking problems
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 23:57 »
they both arent reconizing each other in the networking groups? wahts going on?

thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 00:30 »
Can you clarify your setup Mark please ?
Is it BB modem to router then ethernet lead from there to each pc ?
Are both pcs on XP or if not which OS are they using ?

Offline twiggy

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 13:27 »
hi there its BB modem (which is the ntl tv box) straight into the uplink port in the swicth. then two cables out one to one pc and one to the other. I installed all the internet software on to the older computer and its internet is full working (im on it now) but the internet to my new pc has gone off you cant use it, it just says detcting proxey settings then says work online or offline. the new pc was xp and the older has 98.

i dont really care about getting them to notice each other at the moment i just wany them to share the internet connection then sort that problem out later. any ideas?

thanks mark

Offline twiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 13:36 »
i think i my of found the reson why they iant tlaking to each other. one reson being that in the network neighborhood it dosnt have the MSHOME network jsut a ENtire Network icon which you cant click on. but on my xp machine it has the MSHOME network icon and you can see a list of computers that are part of the network and it only has its self on there. so if i set one up on win98 would this slove that problem? if yes how do i do that? i have used the xp cd methord 3times now.

thannks mark

Offline twiggy

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 13:54 »
well i have jsut re-installed all of the ntl software onto my new ocmputer ad the internt works. but now the old one has the same problem as the new had no proxey settigns. its jsut going like a yo-yo.

any ideas?

thanks mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 14:53 »
Have a look here Mark, it has some trobleshooting tips and guides on how to network using different methods :

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

I have only done them as either PC to PC using internet connection sharing or via a combined modem/router so I am not sure what happens with a modem, switch, and hub setup but I would have that it was similar.
Does the hub have DHCP enabled, that should assign an IP to each PC and I dont think that you want proxy settings used.
I assume that in your network connections it has set each one up as MSHOME or WORKGROUP, either is ok but they both must be the same and check that TCP/IP is enabled on both LAN connections too  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum