Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: I Want to Share my Internet Connection  (Read 1133 times)

Offline spooner

I Want to Share my Internet Connection
« on: January 24, 2004, 08:01 »
My main pc runs on cable broadband, just bought a second hand laptop for my little girl and i want to share my connection by some kind of wireless device, can anybody point me in the right direction as i`ve not got a clue where to start  ???
thanks in advance  ;)
sed all my sick, t`morra i`m ringing in dead !

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:I Want to Share my Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 09:20 »
Not knowing anything about this myself, Spooner, I would think the first thing you'll need to consider is getting a Wireless Router.  There are some fairly cheapish ones at Ebuyer, which you could have a look at.  Once you have a router, I believe they are reasonably easy to set up, mainly through wizards.  I expect someone will be along to help you further soon.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 10:05 »
Hi

I have a pc on broadband and a wireless router.  Its coneected 'wirelessly' by a PCMCIA card in the laptop.

The router I have is a netgear DG824M (this includes a adsl modem - not sure if you need this) and a MA401 PCMCIA card.

Adept :adept: will know the best wireless router to go for - but I haven't had any problems with netgear they're very easy to set up and even sent out a replacment one in 24 hours when it got damaged by a power surge.

BroadbandBuyer may give you some ideas.

DJ

Adept

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 10:34 »
Personally I like the Vigor routers but they are very expensive. The Netgears are very good for the price as DJ can attest.

You will need a straightforward broadband router, as opposed to the ADSL router that DJ has. An ADSL router contains an ADSL modem which you will not require if you already have a cable modem.

It may be worthwhile looking for an 802.11g rather than 802.11b wireless setup as this will be more futureproof.

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 09:20 »
Hi
Don't know whether this will help or not but I've just bought a D-Link DI-614+ Wireless router and a D-Link DWL-650+ Cardbus Adapter PMCIA card. Fitting was a doddle and it fired up the internet connection straightaway after putting all my user account details on the laptop. I'm def. not an expert and found it easy to set up and get running.

Dogsbody :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 09:55 »
Thanks for that, Dogsbody, and  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum