Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Outlook Crashing  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Outlook Crashing
« on: December 29, 2002, 18:52 »
Does anyone use Outlook (not Outlook Express)?  I've just installed a *ahem* 'version' of Office XP Pro, and if I leave Outlook open to check for new mail, it crashes every few minutes, and asks to send an error report.

Would anyone like to have a guess as what might be causing the crashes, and does anyone know how to turn off the error reports?

Thanks!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:Outlook Crashing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 19:04 »
Yes Simon, I use the Office XP version of Outlook, although mine is the 'non-ahem' release.  I've not experienced the type of problem you describe, but would guess that it requires the patch that's available from Miserysoft once you've registered your Office suite with them.  Unless you install that patch, you could be reduced to using another email client for a while.  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 19:14 »
Well, it is registered (as far as I know), so I'll have a look on the MS updates site.  Any chance of narrowing down what I'm looking for, Rodders?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 19:27 »
You could do worse than install the Office XP Service Pack 2, that's available from here.  There's also a ton of other Office stuff you can d/l from there if you're desperate.   :)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 19:30 »
Simon..
I have M$ outlook 2000 SR1 Ver 9.0.03821.

I dont have it running cause I use outlook express, but I have installed it just to see what happens on mine.. been up n running for 30 mins now seems ok.

Hook

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 19:30 »
Right I just went on the Office Updates site, and d/loaded one for Outlook, one for Excel, and one for Word, all Dec 2002.  I already installed SP2, when I installed Office, so I'll see how it goes now - thanks Rodders!

Edit - thanks also Hook - just seen your post!  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 21:32 »
I've experienced this problem on two different machines and it was caused by Outlook not liking an e-mail which was waiting to be downloaded.  I simply deleted the offending e-mail using MailWasher and the problem went away on both machines.

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 21:54 »
That sounds feasible Clive ... the time between crashes may be the same as the prog setting for checking mail ..... worth checking out Simon
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2002, 22:07 »
The blurb for the Outlook patch states that it specifically deals with the 'Outlook hanging, due to a malformed msg header' problem.   ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2002, 22:20 »
Well, since downloading the updates, the problem seems to have been solved.  I've been running Outlook for 2 hours now, with no problems, so thanks everyone, especially Rodders for pointing in the right direction.  ;) ;) ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum