Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: My Own Website  (Read 20090 times)

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
My Own Website
« on: December 29, 2002, 22:56 »
Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can get a free website and what I can use to build it that is idiot proof?

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:My Own Website
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 23:23 »
This free one does it for me, Whiskas.

NDO

Once you're all signed up, go back and apply for a NDO+ account, which gives you a free .org.uk, or .co.uk domain name into the bargain.  Choose the name wisely, since you won't be able to change it afterwards.

The service is very reliable and I've used them since 1998.  The only catch is moving your free domain name somewhere else -- it'll set you back 125 smackers.

It's a subscription-free service, but you do have to pay for your time online when dialling up to your account, to make changes, or upload pages.

To write your pages, have a play with MS Frontpage Express, which you'll probably find on your system somewhere.  Otherwise, I believe it's still downloadable from Miserysoft.  I'll have a rummage for the URL.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2002, 23:25 »
I used Cutsite Builder Whiskas. Goto www.globalscape.com for free trial. It's definitely idiot proof and I am the proof ;D ;D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2002, 23:26 »
The only one I know that seems to be reliable is one from www.marhost.com  Whiskas.
It has no banners or ads but you have to accept some spam e mail from an affiliate which is about 2 per week in my experience( I just delete them as they come in now  ;) )
I recommended them to a friend last week and it took about 3 working days to get it set up but after that its fine.
I have only used Namo Web Builder and transferred stuff by an FTP prog but I noticed it now has templates and some kind of built in software to do it all for you  :-*

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 23:27 »
I haven't got frontpage express Rodders so if you can find the url that would be great.

What do you have to pay after the free trial Lona?

Offline Corky

• http://www.faceparty.com/corky_wales
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2002, 23:29 »
Hey Whiskas, i've got some spare hosting that im not currently using so if you need it, its yours.  Also, if you need any help constructing the pages, i'd be happy to help you there too.

Let me know.

Corky

EDIT*  I've also got the domain "theflavour.net" that may be of use to you.
img]http://www.raid-designs.co.uk/emote/corkypc.gif[/img]

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2002, 23:33 »

Hey Whiskas, i've got some spare hosting that im not currently using so if you need it, its yours.  Also, if you need any help constructing the pages, i'd be happy to help you there too.

Let me know.

Corky

erm......hosting? I'm warning you now I know absolutely nothing ::) your help would be really good though ;D Long time no see by the way

Offline Corky

• http://www.faceparty.com/corky_wales
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 23:36 »
I will set the server up, all you will need to do is upload some files via FTP to a directory on the hosting.

Don't worry, i will explain it all for you :)
img]http://www.raid-designs.co.uk/emote/corkypc.gif[/img]

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2002, 23:43 »
Cheers, i haven't got a clue what you are on about but thanks ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2002, 23:57 »
The Cutesite Builder trial is free Whiskas but only for 30 days then you have to buy it. I was too miserable to buy it, hence the reason my website is in limbo. ;D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 00:02 »

The Cutesite Builder trial is free Whiskas but only for 30 days then you have to buy it. I was too miserable to buy it, hence the reason my website is in limbo. ;D

It's too soon after Christmas for me to spend much money :'(. I tried the ICQ websites which set it all up for you and all you need to do is chose the colours etc but I couldn't quite get to grips with that ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 00:03 »
Whiskers, Frontpage Express might be hidden away on your machine - try Start Button > Search > All Files and Folders then type in Frontpage, and it might find it for you.  Then you can copy it to your desktop for next time.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 00:06 »
I tried that and it brought up front page express, when I clicked on it it had some folders but when I went into them it was blank ???

Offline Whiskas

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 00:10 »
Ah I have found it I was clicking on program files ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 00:11 »
OK, you might find THIS PAGE useful.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum