Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows XP SP1 Installation/upgrade  (Read 1500 times)

Adept

Windows XP SP1 Installation/upgrade
« on: February 21, 2004, 14:58 »
My main PC came up with some strange errors loading Windows XP. Something about SHLWAPI.DLL being corrupt. So I consulted the MS Knowledgebase and found an article which gives the steps to restore the SHLWAPI.DLL related files using the recovery console.

On rebooting the machine would start and show the logon screens, but then Explorer would not start, complaining about another DLL file being corrupt :(

So I decided to do an Upgrade setup over the top of the original installation, to restore the missing DLLs and hopefully not lose any of the registry information.

This has resulted in another problem: the setup program gets to 34 minutes in the "Installng Windows" stage of setup and stops with a dialog box saying that it cannot find some batch file or other. The problem is that the keyboard and mouse are not enabled and I cannot make the dialog box go away to continue setup.

The keyboard and mouse I'm using are PS/2 ones and I've tried alternatives too.

Anyone got any ideas? ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Windows XP SP1 Installation/upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 15:03 »
Has it gone to far to boot into safe mode and restore to an earluer point Sean ?

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 15:03 »
Have you tried booting on your XP disc and repairing? Bit vague I know  :P
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Adept

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 15:11 »
Sandra: Yes, it won't let me into Safe Mode as the installation is 1/2 way through. I tried last known good too and that just re-started the installation :(

Robo: I can get into the Recovery Console, but I'm not really sure what I can do from there, seeing as the installation is half way through ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 15:12 »
Does this help at all Sean ?

RESOLUTION
Click Yes, download the updated Setup files (Recommended) in the Get Updated Setup Files dialog box during Setup. After Setup is complete, you may need to rename files (or folders) that you cannot access because the folder structure exceeds MAX_PATH (256 characters).

To work around this problem, press SHIFT+F10 and XCOPY User~tmp.@01 to a safe location before you restart your computer and then continue Setup.

Taken from :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314931&Product=winxp

Probably not as you said that the keyboard wasnt responding  ???

Adept

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 15:16 »

Does this help at all Sean ?

Don't think so Sandra, but at this stage I'll try anything ::) I think that article relates to a later stage in the process :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 15:52 »
Do you have another PC with XP on, up and running, Sean?  Just wondering if you could copy the missing batch file from the working installation onto a floppy (or whatever), and load it somehow?  Can you still get into the 'old' version of XP, if you abandon the new set up?  Just clutching at straws, really.   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 18:38 »
After spending the last few hours visiting my new baby niece :), I've decided it's out with the old and in with the new.

I'm re-installing WIndows - sod it! ::)

Thanks for all your suggestions :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 19:24 »
Ya shoudda saved an image of C: Drive when it was working OK  ::)

An image of C:Drive and for worse case cockups [not able to get into Windows] is a copy of "Hirams Boot Disk 4.2" the two together is magic :)

Don't ask who give me Hirams, all I'm saying is, she is a lovely lovely Lass   ;D  

Mind you if you had been running good old stable, secure W2K Pro, instead of that XPoo rubbish   ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 19:34 »

Anyone got any ideas? ???

Adept, if you don't have any Ideas "God" help us all  :P

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 22:43 »
Mind you if you had been running good old stable, secure W2K Pro, instead of that XPoo rubbish  ;)  

I thought you were having your way with sp at the moment Tony.. ;) ;D :P

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 00:48 »
Bloody Hell cammy I saw a photo of  SP recently....buggered if I can think where. Anyway the latest monitoring suggests it is stable at the moment.......but we both know that can change mearly by typing in the wrong info  ::)  ;D  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum