Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ISDN Router problem.  (Read 1942 times)

Offline choke

ISDN Router problem.
« on: February 29, 2004, 11:42 »
Hi
I recently bought a ISDN router and it works great. However, i have one slight problem with it. As soon as i turn on my pc it always tries to connect to the internet. If I then disconnect it manually, it dials straight back up. This is not a big issue, its just sometimes i do not want to dial up to the ISP. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas whether I could turn off auto- dialing. The router is  
3Com® OfficeConnect® ISDN LAN Modem, S/T Interface. I have looked in the little program that was supplied with it and cant seem to get any luck. Does have any ideas, or alternative programs that would do the job.

Jon

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
Re:ISDN Router problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 12:07 »
Download THIS free program, it's only small, it allows you to add or remove programs from starting up when you turn your PC on. I also use it's Sister Program "Start-Up Monitor"

Or you can go the "msconfig" route if your not on W2K

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 12:14 »
Another thing you could try is to click on Internet Options/ Connections and check the box which says "never dial a connection"  and see if that works.  Another possibility is that Outlook Express is being told to check for mail as soon as it loads up.

Offline choke

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 13:00 »
Ive already tried using msconfig but doesnt seem to have any effect. The router automatically detects when a pc has been turned on and dials straight away. On a few of the pc using the router i did not even install the software and it still dials up.

Thanks anyway

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 17:56 »
I expect Sandra will be able to help with this.  It doesn't sound like Windows is causing the automatic redials when disconnected.  It's probably something to do with the configuration of the router - something which I know nothing about.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 18:12 »
A router is a device the purpose of which is to maintain the connection to your ISP, so your 3Com is doing its job correctly ;) Routers are generally used with an always-on type Internet connection such as ADSL or with certain unmetered ISDN connections, where the bill is the same however long the router is connected.

None of the programs mentioned earlier will help I'm afraid as they will affect your PC and not the router.

The easiest way to control when the router is connected to your ISP is to only switch it on when you need an Internet connection. Obviously this isn't any good if your router is also a hub/switch in your network :(

There is probably a dial-out trigger control in the router's setup program. I'll see if I can download some documentation for your router and let you know...

Offline choke

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 18:52 »
Yeh, I have no real problem with it connecting to the net all the time. I have an unmetered ISP. Its just that I take part in alot of online gaming and have another modem which gets me a much better latency and connection. So its a pain the arse when both are connecting, if you know what i mean. Im being lazy really, i only have to reach up and plug out the cable from router, i just thought maybe theres an easier way.

As we are on about ISPs, does anyone know of any good unmetered ISPs that support 128k ISDN? as there are very few of them around

Cheers
Jon

Offline choke

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 18:54 »
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=2&sort=effdt&sku=3C891A-US&order=desc

Theres a link of documentation for the router. Cheers  :D

Edited to enable link   :)

Adept

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 19:37 »
Everything you need to know can be found in Chapter 8, PLACING, RECEIVING AND DISCONNECTING CALLS in this document.

Personally, I'd switch it off ;) :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 21:51 »
I won't bother printing all 130 pages of that!   :o :o ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum