Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Uploading rights  (Read 1668 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Uploading rights
« on: March 06, 2004, 00:13 »
My problem is i have some webspace that i would like a friend of mine to be able to upload some files to. will they be able to do this if i give them my web address without me handing out my password (which i've lost anyway)  ::)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Uploading rights
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 01:30 »
I dont think so Dave, they would need to log on as you with your username and password to be able to do it.
If its webspace provided by your ISP they may even have to be on the same ISP to be able to do it as well as some ISPs only allow access from their own dial up  :(
The other way would be to set up a server and the you can give your friends acces to it , on your pc with a sperate log in username/password for each user.
Theres a free program available here :
www.dynu.com which also has an IP tracker thats a freebie as well, if you are on a dynamic IP.
XP has its own built in server software too  :)

Adept

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 09:54 »
If you are able to use PHP on your website, you could set up a password protected section with a PHP uploader program for them to use.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 10:49 »
thanks guys n gals.  this means i'm going to have to learn something new again...doh   ;D

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 13:34 »
Or if you have any cgi webspace you can use a cgi program to let them upload files direct to your server.  

DJ

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum