Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC not reaching post  (Read 3924 times)

Offline alternator

PC not reaching post
« on: March 22, 2004, 14:21 »
Hi, Im really at a loss here (I think)

After changing the case of my PC's, none of them will reach post. They power up but nothing is sent to the monitor.

I have changed the motherboards for brand new units, but still the same problem.

Do you think both of them might now have damaged processors? They are both Athlon, one is 2000+, and the other is 3000+

What do you think?

Any help appreciated?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:PC not reaching post
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 16:24 »
Hi Alternator, and  

I'm at a loss too, but as soon as a techie appears, I'm sure you will get some help.  We have had some access problems over the last couple of days, over which we had no control, so please bear with us if your answer is not as immediate as we would normally like.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 16:37 »
Can you give us some details of the mobos, cpus, ram and graphics card combinations that you have tried in the ones that will no longer work please Alternator  :)

Offline alternator

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 17:38 »
Hiya, and thanks for the warm welcome :)

Spec of PC 1

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
512MB DDR RAM (PC2700)
100 GB Western Digital HDD
Sound Blaster Audigy
nVidia GeForce 4 TI 4400 Graphics Card
Asus A7v333 motherbaord (model with onboard lan)
Currently has a Sparkle 250W PSU (although I have changed for a 300w - no difference)

PC 2

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
512MB DDR RAM (PC2700)
120GB HDD (another western unit)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
3D Power Radeon 9700LE graphics card
Had a Winfast K7NCR18 motherboard, but now has an Asus Via KT400 A/L mainboard in it - brand new.
300W PSU.

All that happened is I switched the case over (done this many times with many PC's in the past  :-\) and they dont send anything to the monitor or beep etc.

Have removed Bios battery's overnight, tried booting up with motherboard, memory, processor and graphics card only but they just don't do anything  ???

I must admit I didn't earth myself or ground myself before doing the changeover before. Do you think that I might have sent a bit of the old static into the processors? (clearly for the case changeover I left these attached, so didn't directly touch them)

Have had them apart about 3 times and back together, and changed the motherboards and re-fired up the systems but it makes no difference apparently :S

Tried on Multiple monitors, but they just go to standby or stay in standby while the PC is on. The drives all seem to open / close normally, and the lights illuminate on the mainboards when I switch on the power at the mains  :-\

Thanks again...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 17:59 »
Have you actually had the CPUs out at all?
Check they are seated correctly.

Have you moved the clear CMOS jumper into clear and not set back in the normal run position ?

Sorry to state the obvious if you have already checked that but we have to start at the beginning  :)

Offline alternator

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 18:04 »
yup, jumpers have been put to clear position, and 3000+ CPU has been reseated on new board, 2000+ hasn't (Ive had trouble getting the heatsink off!  :-[)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 18:21 »
It is of course possible that static could have damaged any part of the PC.

My best advice is to remove an item one by one from the pc and check to see if you get a POST screen. Keep repeating until you are down to basically no components.

Hopefully, you'll pull out a stick of ram, and the pc will boot, ergo the ram was the problem.

Offline alternator

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 18:26 »
already done :) Memory was totally out at one point when I tried to boot it.

Well, Im guessing not the mainboards anyway, seeing as on one it has been replaced.

The only thing I can narrow it down to is the processors, as everything else has been lifted or changed before?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 18:31 »

yup, jumpers have been put to clear position,

If you mean that then thats your problem, the jumper needs to be in the normal run position not clear position  ???

Offline alternator

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 18:36 »
nope :) put them back in their normal positions :)

Adept

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 19:20 »
I'm not saying that you have done this alternator, but I had a problem similar to this in the workshop several years ago. Have a close look at the pictures I took at the time and see if you can spot the mistake ;D ;D

Offline alternator

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 19:27 »
LMFAO! Mate - got it straight away ;)

You missed a wire or two ;)

Adept

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 19:29 »
So I take it that your mobo isn't mounted directly onto the case? ;) :lol:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 19:33 »
So the Rubber on the mouse mat is to erase your mistakes on the cables Adept  :D

Adept

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 19:37 »

So the Rubber on the mouse mat is to erase your mistakes on the cables Adept  :D

erm ... no. The plastic eraser is used for cleaning the contacts on PCI cards. Very useful tool is a plastic eraser ::)

If you ignore the bleedin' obvious and have a closer look at the motherboard Hook, you may just notice the cause of the problem ;) ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum