Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How to prevent some email addresses  (Read 689 times)

Offline daan999

How to prevent some email addresses
« on: April 03, 2004, 14:03 »
I have Panda antivirus and Iīm receiving from some time strange messages with attachments that I imagine have viruses.
Is there a way to block these emails. I tried to block them putting the addresses in the black list but they continue to arrive with different email addresses.

Thx
David

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:How to prevent some email addresses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 14:28 »
Hi David,

You forgot to tell us which e-mail client you are using, but I'll assume it's Outlook or Outlook Express.  Unfortunately, the current batch of nasties always come from different 'spoofed' e-mail addresses, so there's no way to block then using that method.  All you will end up with is a huge black list!

Many of us on Pals use programs such as Mail Washer, or Pop Tray, which enable you to see your e-mails on the server, before downloading them to your machine.  You can then delete anything which looks 'iffy', direct from the server, before downloading mail you want to your PC.  Mail Washer is probably the more 'professional' of the two, but you can only use it for one e-mail account, unless you want to pay for the 'Pro' version.  If you have more than one e-mail account, Pop Tray might be more to your advantage.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline daan999

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 14:50 »
Hi Simon

Iīm using the email account of my adsl server. I donīt use outlook. So the messages donīt enter inside the computer. It is like yahoo email. So, I think the mail washer wonīt work.

David

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 19:14 »
You mean your ISP's Webmail?  Obviously they don't have very good virus protection.  Some ISPs scan mail for you, and report any viruses.  I'm not sure of any other way round that, other than to be very selective opening your e-mails.  However, if Panda is efficient and kept updated, it should protect you if infected mail slips through.  If it doesn't, perhaps it might be time to look at an alternative?  Personally I use Norton, but AVG is free, and highly recommended by many members here.

http://pc-pals.com/antivirus.htm
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum