Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New TV  (Read 6153 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
New TV
« on: April 07, 2004, 19:08 »
Bought a new TV yesterday, Panasonic TX28PS5 28" wide screen with surround sound speakers etc etc.

Can't get used to the Squat picture though..after being used to a 28"sq picture  >:(  to those that have one of these type TVs..did you get used to it.

Hookstar

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:New TV
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 20:41 »
If you have Digital TV, i.e. Sky / Cable or Freeview, you get 'true' widescreen, Hook, and the image looks much better.  Unfortunately, if you are viewing analogue terrestrial TV, most broadcasts are in some sort of hybrid widescreen (14:9), so people do appear short and fat!

You might be able to adjust your TV to 14:9 mode, so that images are correctly proportioned, but you will then get black bars down each side of the screen.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 08:26 »
I have a 28" Toshiba Wide Screen TV too and have Sky with settings correct for true wide screen, but I just Hate it, I wish I'd never bought it, everyone DOES look short and squat and after 18 monthes I will never get used to it!  >:(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 09:41 »
You must have it set wrong, Bev!  ::)  Unless, of course, you tend to watch channels broadcasting old programs, not recorded in Widescreen.  

Or, and this is quite likely, your Sky box might need adjusting to output in Widescreen (16:9) format.  Most of them are set to 4:3 (square) by default, but if you go into the settings screens, find the one for TV settings, you should be able to adjust it in there.  If it is set to 4:3, then yes, the picture will be stretched to fit the screen, and people will look squashed.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 10:02 »
I have 2 widescreen (28" and 24") and two 21" square TVs and i find i like the picture on the widescreens far better than the square screens  ::) not that i find much time for television  ;) ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 10:15 »
Well, you know what these blondes are like, Cammy.  She's probably looking at her reflection in the door of the microwave.   ;D ;D ;D

Online Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 13:05 »

Well, you know what these blondes are like, Cammy.  She's probably looking at her reflection in the door of the microwave.   ;D ;D ;D

:pmsl:

I don't have a problem watching either digital (Sky) or terrestrial via an aerial on my 42".  There are lots of different picture size settings but I couldn't get "short and squat" even if I wanted it!  You guys MUST be doing something wrong!

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 17:29 »
Simon is there anything you dont know the answer to?  ::)

it must be something you can change hookstar because i was checking reviews for this particular tv and it has great feedback

e.g http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews5261.html

Jonah
quot;Spirits damned to rot
Amidst the brimstone fireballs
Eyes of the dead
Watching from their living walls
Broken glass reflections
Show your flesh eaten away
Beyond the gates I'll take you
Where the blood forever rains"

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 18:04 »
Sorry ..should have give some feedback, everything is sorted now I have set it at 16:9 and have got used to seeing a smaller TV  :D and yes Jonah..thats why I went for that TV because of the good write ups  8)

Pity I cant hide all the ferking wires up behind the TV with Sky/Video/DvD..such a mess as you can see  :-[

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 18:34 »
lol nice wallpaper ;)
Eyes of the dead
Broken glass reflections

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 18:50 »
Jonah,

Do you know that if you put : lol : (without the spaces) you get :lol:

Click the 'Get More' link under the list of smilies to get more  ::)

DJ

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 18:59 »
:bart: yes i do know  ::)

Jonah

Eyes of the dead
Broken glass reflections

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2004, 19:21 »

Yes - how to cause lippy teenagers to self combust.  But I'm working on it.   ;)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004, 19:48 »

You must have it set wrong, Bev! Or, and this is quite likely, your Sky box might need adjusting to output in Widescreen (16:9) format.  Most of them are set to 4:3 (square) by default, but if you go into the settings screens, find the one for TV settings, you should be able to adjust it in there.  If it is set to 4:3, then yes, the picture will be stretched to fit the screen, and people will look squashed.

Its already set to 16:9 format Simon but I still think everyone looks short and squat  ::) I will never get used to it >:( hence I watch any tv programs at my breakfast bar on my 28" Toshiba SQUARE screen  8)

ohh and btw...... Microwave indeed  >:(  :slug:  :bald:

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004, 20:03 »

Yes - how to cause lippy teenagers to self combust.  But I'm working on it.   ;)
watch it wolf boy  :clever:
lol
Eyes of the dead
Broken glass reflections

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum