Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wierd browser problem  (Read 1125 times)

Offline wibomps

Wierd browser problem
« on: April 21, 2004, 15:47 »
Hi,
Can anyone help with a problem that has started recently. Whenever I get a long form in my browser. It seems to run in slow motion. Filling forms on Ebay for example: it can take 5-6 seconds for each letter typed to register on screen. This occurs whatever browser I use - (Even in fpxpress. esp. if there is a lot of java on the page). I am running Windows ME. There are no viri or spyware running (I've checked), and I have plenty of memory. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything with no effect. Am I missing something obvious?

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Wierd browser problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 18:19 »
Well, it is a classic symptom of spyware, or something else hogging your resources.  Have you looked in Task Manager to see if there's something eating everything up?  What did you use to scan for spyware?  We recommend a combimation of Ad Aware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster (links below).  You sometimes need to run the scanners in Safe Mode, with System Restore temporarily disabled to get rid of spyware embedded deep in your system.  You could also run Hijack This, and post the log on here, which we could have a look at for you.   :)

Ad Aware
Spybot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Hijack This

Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline wibomps

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 22:53 »
Many thanks Simon. I had only checked for spyware with SpybotSD. I didn't realise that other progs would be required. Following your advice I downloaded Ad-aware6, and ran it in safe mode. I was infested with DYFUCA malware, which the prog removed for me. After re-start I tested the system - Brilliant! it is once again back to the old banger of a computer that I had come to know and love. CHEERS! ;D

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 23:08 »
I always find that Spybot and Adaware complement each other in that both find product the other missed :)

BTW did you know of the the fake adaware site that installs a trojan downloader instead  >:(

(Use ada-ware.com or adaware.com and you get to the 'fake' site, the correct site being lavasoft.de)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 23:26 »
Glad you got it sorted, wibomps, and  
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 00:11 »

BTW did you know of the the fake adaware site that installs a trojan downloader instead  >:(

(Use ada-ware.com or adaware.com and you get to the 'fake' site, the correct site being lavasoft.de)

That's very useful information, Dack.  I certainly did not know about that.

There are some real bar-stewards out there.  :tony:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum