Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Reformat and Partition  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Dogsbody

Reformat and Partition
« on: April 23, 2004, 14:59 »
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Right I'm going to reformat my HDD its 120gb Maxtor running XP. I'm also thinking that I should partition it as I am want to try Linux (Should please Dave). Am I correct in thinking that when I put the XP disc in it will give me the option to partition and that if I want a partition for Linux that its partition has to be FAT32 and can I do the rest as NFTS??.

Lastly what size partitions do you think I should have and how many, not many questions I know ;D but it should keep me busy reading the answers.

Cheers in anticipation

DB

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Reformat and Partition
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 15:12 »
If Linux only works in FAT 32, (I dont know if it does or not, sorry), then I would be tempted to have all the drive in FAT 32.
Theres nothing worse than being in one OS and not being able to use what you want from another partition that the OS cant "see"  :(
I would probably split into 3 as a 20 gig partition for XP, 10 gig for Linux and the remaining bit, up to around 90 gig.
Unfortunately XP cant format over 32 gig in FAT 32.
You would have to use FDISK to make and format your partitions prior to installing XP as even though you could get XP to format the 20 and the 10 gig partitions in FAT 32 it wouldnt do the rest in it unless you split it into chunks under 32 gig which wouldnt reall be worthwhile  :)

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 15:33 »
Thanks Sandra

I take it FDISK is on the XP CD? if not how do I get around it.

DB

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 15:39 »
Go to :

www.bootdisk.com

Download the file for a 98SE boot disk and then click on the file and tell it to create a floppy.
Boot up with that in place and at the A: prompt type Fdisk and away you go  :)

There are a few guides on using Fdisk in some of the threads in General Software I think, as well as on the net and on Microsofts Knowledge Base  :)

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 15:42 »
Thanks again Sandra oh and do me a favour never never ever dye your hair blonde, hate to lose all that knowledge. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now I get ready for the abuse. :o

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 15:50 »
I was blonde once DB, but I got better  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 15:52 »
I had hair once but it ain't getting better ;D

DB

Adept

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 20:19 »
DB you'll find that if you boot the XP disk, the setup program will allow you to partition you disk as you want it. Fdisk is the old Windows 98 way of doing things.

You Linux partition should be left as free space. Linux has it's own partition manager and boot menu manager which will allow you to choose which OS you require on startup. The Linux partition will actually split into an OS partition and a swap file partition. The Linux partition manager should suggest appropriate values for these based on the free space.

If you want to be able to read/write data on the XP partition from Linux, you will have to format the XP partition as FAT32. Linux can read NTFS partitions, but apparently writing to NTFS partitions can be fraught with danger as the drivers are still a bit buggy.

HTH

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 20:34 »
Thanks for that, just a query though if I format the HDD to FAT 32 using the XP disc will I be able to have bigger partitions than 32Gb as I gather that from what Sandra said it FAT32 will only do up to 32 but if I used the boot disk I can format it to larger partitions.???

DB

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 21:17 »
As I said DB, to do what you want to do then according to this article :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463&Product=winxp

You need to Fdisk it.
See the relevant part of the article below :

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 21:37 »
Thanks for clarifying that for me, after reading what Adept said I had been searching, but had not found that article. Cheers again and thanks for the link to boot disk I have now got a disk with it on and ready for an assault on the desktop on Monday, only time I can get it now when "er indoors" is home she be 'oggin it' ;)  ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 10:16 »
Dogsbody,

I take it that you aint got Partition Magic on your PC. If you could borrow a copy   ::) you could do all your partitioning prior to reinstalling whatever.

I personally would not like to be without PM, it's a really easy tool to use.

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Dogsbody

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 14:56 »
No I had looked at PM a few times but as the PC is starting to hang and slow down a bit I thought I would go the whole hog aand reformat etc.

DB

Offline Marty

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 02:49 »
What I would do is install windows XP, and then but Partition Magic 8.0. What it does is it makes a partition in your HD to any size you want. Then you can go from there. It's a great program though.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum