Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Running Fat32 applications in NTFS  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Running Fat32 applications in NTFS
« on: May 15, 2004, 00:15 »
can it be done?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Running Fat32 applications in NTFS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 00:35 »
Apps are usually OS specific Bob, NTFS is a file system.
So whether its FAT or NTFS shouldnt matter for the application to actually run, as long as its compatable with the OS  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 03:15 »
ive found applications for data recovery that won't run on xp only on 95/98 i assumed the reason was file system.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 03:57 »
Dont think the file system would affect it Bob as XP can run in FAT 32 as well as NTFS.

Check your PMs Bob  :)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 04:25 »
already did sandra, check your email. ;)

shouldn't all apps that were designed to work in 98 also work in xp.  ???

PS. i recovered 1.95gigs off 2.2 and its all your fault ;D

Adept

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 08:02 »
FAT32 and NTFS are different filing systems.

Apps which can recover data are generally written to cope with a specific filing system. So one that works with FAT32 will not be able to recover NTFS data and vice-versa.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 08:21 »
the drive im recovering is FAT32 its a 2.2 giger i slaved up to my xp machine to recover. I just want the older version of this recovery prog i have to execute in xp.

Adept

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 08:25 »
That should work OK Bob :)

Just make sure you don't write ANYTHING to the drive to be recovered or you can potentially lose data.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 08:49 »
ive probably recovered all im going to recover at this point. Ive used 5 different recovery progs, and gotten the same results from two. But i started this thread to see about a sixth prog i was having trouble running in xp. It says its only compatable with 95 and 98. I was curious to see if anyone had ran across a prog to run these older generation applications.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 17:50 »
Which progs did you use Bob and which did you find worked the best and which was the easiest to use  ???

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 21:37 »
Drive Rescue the first version had less options then the version you gave me but both didn't recover nears as much as Easy Recovery (one of the best ive found so far). The files driverescue did recover were mostly corrupt.

Recover4all was the app that didn't like xp, i downloaded the newest version but it was a demo which wouldn't save data. So i was going for an earlier version i could crack.

Note: Recover4all scanned the clusters and was able to view almost every file i had lost. Thats the main reason why i was so interested in getting a working version.

I looked at PCI filerecovery and R-linux PCI was decent but didn't turn up any more results than Easy recovery. I got mostly all my image files but most of the media like mp3s and a couple of music videos were lost. I lost a couple of tutorial  rar files too. But I had everything that i considered important backed up a couple of months back.

For the most part i just went through the free cnet list and the list google turned up for undeleting, the ones that were complete crap i didn't even waste my time on.

I used my norton systemworks super edition 2003 cd and installed the unerase app, to try and prevent this from happening again. It happens.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 02:17 »

Recover4all was the app that didn't like xp, i downloaded the newest version but it was a demo which wouldn't save data. So i was going for an earlier version i could crack.

Note: Recover4all scanned the clusters and was able to view almost every file i had lost. Thats the main reason why i was so interested in getting a working version.

It sounds like a nice program Bob , dont know about cracking though, thats a naughty word around here  ::)

Oh by the way you have mail Bob  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum