Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Mysql win32 howto??  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
Mysql win32 howto??
« on: May 21, 2004, 06:14 »
Im went to the mysql website and dled the new version of sql for win32 with idea of creating a new login for my site. I installed it and found an admin managment exe in the sql directory but im lost on how to work this. Ive been scanning over online manuals and help text but i must admit all this is mighty confusing. Anyone have any experience with sql databases? i guess im looking for some guidence. As always with most things i do i play around with them until i figure them out, and i always tend to post my findings on my new exploits. But this would go alot faster if someone could give some advice and point me in the right direction.

Heres some of the questions im looking to get answered so far.

> My sql has its own dir under C:/mysql. If its ment to work with a server, how does this work? Apache runs through a directory in C:/program files/.... Does it automaticly recognize a running server?

> where do i put the "CGI scripts" or "Perl Scripts"? I was reading a manual at the sql site and it mentioned some importance of the data dir, i have gathered so far that this has something to do with it. What is the difference in the two types of scripts?

> Does sql work just like apache, onces its running it doesn't require someone to manage it?

Ive come to the end conclusion after all this time that the best and quickest way to learn it to ask questions no matter how newbish they seem. Its the only way to become an expert at anything.

Adept

Re:Mysql win32 howto??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 07:06 »
Whenever I've used MySQl, I've used it via the interfaces provided by PHP which runs as a pre-processor for Apache.

I'm pretty sure Perl/CGI would work in a similar way.

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 07:26 »
ive installed perl but its all command line i don't see a interface as i would expect one to look.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 19:09 »
PHP is a commandline too, so I assume Perl is similar. Have you tried installing a Perl application to see if it works?

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 21:10 »
i installed something called activeperl, hell if i know how to use it yet. I think its an application to install perl packages but im still learning lmao.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum