Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A few queries?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
A few queries?
« on: August 05, 2004, 11:27 »
Well I have a few queries I'd like to resolve with your help  :)

I have recently reformatted my PC and moved the majority of my stuff to the D drive.  I have a multiple user account and wish to make certain folders Private. I see the option under file sharing when I right click the folder and go to privacy but for some reason the option is shaded  :-\ Is this just because i am unable to privitise folders in the D drive and maybe it can only be done in C? or am I doing something wrong?

I had to remove Nortons Firewall as it was causing lots of problems and not allowing me to access many sites even though I had permitted access by choosing the internet access options for the sites I wished view, I have therefore enabled XP's own firewall and I just wanted to know what the general concensus was from you as to whether this was adequate. I read from a few posts today that XP are shortly introducing SP2 pack and that incorporates enhanced security,  I presume this means their firewall should also be upgraded?  maybe you can put me right on these queries  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:A few queries?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 12:18 »
Re (1) Can anyone confirm that only the original folders that XP pro creates and any sub folders that you later create inside them in the user accounts on C are the only ones that can be made private ?
If so it seems strange that you cant make any folder you want private on any drive doesnt it  ???

Re (2) As you are now using a router with its own inbuilt firewall, you dont really even need XPs firewall.
Although having XPs firewall enabled wont do any harm  :)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 00:11 »
1. I'm assuming you're drive D is an internal harddrive, possibly external? I have XP Home and anything on the C drive can be made private. I don't have a second harddrive, but on my USB flash disk the option is greyed. My guess is that only objects on the C drive can be made private.

2. Any firewall is better than no firewall. The one included with XP isn't the greatest, but it will help with most things if you don't have a diff one. I have been using it and haven't had any problems so far. Make sure you have a spy/adware remover tho, 'cause that  :-X's annoying.  ;D
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 00:26 »
Only those files/directories on an NTFS partition can be made private. Fat32 doesn't allow object permisions.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 00:42 »
I definately did her C drive as NTFS but I cant remember what I did the D drive as now  ???
I usually do them as NTFS unless its dual booting with 98 or ME though.
Thanks for that though Dack as thst easy to check and sort out  :)

Adept

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 09:52 »
If the D drive is FAT32 it can be converted to NTFS using the command

Code: [Select]
convert d: /fs:ntfs

from a command prompt.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 13:45 »
Her D Drive is a second slave drive and is definately formatted in NTFS.
She is running XP pro.
Any ideas  ???

Adept

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 22:38 »
In XP home, I think you have to turn off "Simple File Sharing" before it will behave like XP Pro.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040 should help :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 04:05 »
Its not as straight forward as I would have liked Adept but with your link and this one :

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418#3

We should be able to sort it.

Unfortunately by turning off the simple file sharing, enabled by default in XP pro, I think that she will have to set permissions for each user or user group and herself for each and every folder on the pc apart from the orignal shared folders on C and maybe even those too  :o

Do you really need a private folder Serenity as I can see me having to spend a lot of time on RA to set it up  :'(

I think it would be a lot easier to use a program like Lockfolder instead  :)

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 07:34 »
No San, no reason at all other than to stop my youngest (budding techie) from deleting everything I have including my work etc  ::)
I have Lockfolder and will use that  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum