Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Age of Empires Online Help  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Age of Empires Online Help
« on: August 25, 2004, 02:11 »
Hello all...have been searching for a way to solve a problem with Age of Empires II: Age Of Kings.

My brother is having problems trying to make it work online. He (almost) always gets the "30 ping error" (if neone knows what that is...)

Apparently it has something to do with the Linksys Wireless Router and/or other wireless routers but support pages on a number of websites aren't helping.

The computer is running Windows ME.

Any help is much appreciated.  :)
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Re:Age of Empires Online Help
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 03:27 »
???

Have I finally found something that stumps everybody?

Guess I'll keep searching...thanx neways!

:-\
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 09:28 »
We don't have many gamers here, Hiatus, but Sandra's quite an expert on routers, so she may be able to help.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:40 »
I am not 100% sure but I assume it needs some ports opening up on the router.

Have a look here and see if doing this helps :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240429

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 20:58 »
Heh, yes I have seen that.

This is where it gets confusing tho...the source (hub?) is not actually in the same house. The computer has a wireless (receiver?) that it uses to connect to the (hub?).

lol...sorry for the lame paragraph...I'm not into the wireless "lingo"...

The problems I'm having rite now is that they say on the Linksys homepage to type "http://192.168.1.1" into the browser search bar. Apparently it will bring up some stuff but it doesn't work!  ???

Do I have to do this from the source/hub?

>:( AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

:o ;D Sorry...had to let off some steam...
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 00:13 »
Ok lets start at the beginning  :)
Can you tell me exactly what your network is and how you have it set up ?
I assume that you have a Linksys wireless router connected to either your BT line or cable directly or possibly via a modem, which model is the router and if you have a seperate modem which make and model is that and how is that connected to the router ?
How many pcs are connected, method of connection to the router and the OS that each are on ?
Is everything else apart from online games working ok from all the pcs on your network ?
Once we know your exact setup then we can probably help to sort it out  :)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 00:51 »
I can't think of how to explain it...so I made a pretty picture  ;D lol...

Adapter 1 is "ours"
Adapter 2 is a bit farther away than shown
Source is...the source

Linksys Adapter: Wireless USB Network Adapter WUSB11 ver 2.6 (2.4 GHz, 802.11b)
I don't know what model the router is but I might be able to check.

-2 PC's are connected and I think the other is conected to cable internet.
-USB connections
-Windows Me

Everything other than AOE works fine...sometimes the internet craps out because the connection goes bad but mostly it's good.

P.S. don't worry about this TOO much...it's my grandma's computer and we use it every once and awhile. We usually come down here for a few days per month.
It would be nice if it worked tho and I think her hd needs a good format...so...many...viruses! Ah!
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 01:49 »

The problems I'm having rite now is that they say on the Linksys homepage to type "http://192.168.1.1" into the browser search bar. Apparently it will bring up some stuff but it doesn't work!  ???

Ok I think that the information you found from the Linksys site assumes that you have a Linksys router too and they use http://192.168.1.1 to access the router.
Different companies use different IPs as their default one but that is one of the more common ones.
If you go into Network Connections on any PC connected to the network and click on the LAN and go to properties it should show the LAN IP address of that particular PC.
The router IP will have the same numbers as the first 3 groups and the last one will probably be 0, 1 or 2.
So if you type http://"whatever number your LAN is" but with 0,1 or 2 as the last number, then you should get a box appearing that asks for a username and password, if you havent set a different one from the default one it will probably be admin for username but could be none or anything for the password so you really need to find which make and model of router and check on their site for that information.
Once you can access the router then you can open the ports as described in the MS article earlier  :)

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 17:15 »
k, thanx  :)

Next time I'm there I'll try to access the router from the other computer. Hopefully it will work.
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum