Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows updates  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Windows updates
« on: September 18, 2004, 15:02 »
I re-installed windows on top of itself by accident. :-[

Everything seemed to still be intact except internet explorer which had reverted to version 5.

I did a windows update and downloaded IE6 but when I try to install it it stops at 75% and asks me to reboot to continue. I get the same message everytime I reboot.

I tried uninstalling version 5 but it's not in add/remove and some of the files are greyed out in explorer.

Problem 2

All my internet connection boxes are greyed out on save password box.  ???
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Windows updates
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 16:24 »
I suspect the reason your internet connection passwords are greyed out is because you didn't install Windows Family Logon and/or Client For Microsoft Networks.

Open Control Panel, click (or double click) the Network icon, choose Add, and see if WFL or CFMN are available to install.  You will need your Windows CD.  Once installed, the greyed out boxes should be available again.

As for your other problem, I would wait and see if it is the Updates site that is playing up.  It has happened to me on numerous occasions.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 17:22 »
Thanks Dave

Checked my dial up networking and it was set to family logon

I tried changing it to client for microsoft networks but it's just the same.

I still as confused as ever.  :(

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 20:25 »
Lona, have you got any of the CDs which come with PC magazines?  They often have IE6 on them, which might be worth a try if you think you may have a dodgy download.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 22:22 »
It doesn't matter what one I try to install it won't let me as it says there is one to be resumed.

I tried deleting the file but to no avail. :(

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 22:24 »
Found this...................

Google Groups

It could only happen to me  :(

* Simon fixed link.   :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 22:34 »
Lona, if you were going to reinstall Windows, why on earth didn't you upgrade to XP?  ::) :P ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 23:34 »
I didn't re-install as in wipe disc, Simon.  I re-installed on top of and retained all my software.
I didn't mean to do it, it was just one of those things.  :-[

That link I posted for the fix worked. I have internet explorer 6 back.  This fix might help other poor sods who decide to download the new update. :)

Now all I need to solve is my connection box being greyed out. ???

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 01:29 »
This is really strange.  I have come across this problem umpteen times, but it has always been because Family Logon or Client for MS Networks has somehow been removed.

The only other thing that I can think of is that the reinstallation might have removed the user setiings on the computer.  Is the computer used by more than one person, and does each user have their own settings?  If so, have you checked that your profile still exists?  I have never used the multiple user option, but I believe it is set up in Control Panel > Users.

Having had a few pints, I have now developed enough courage to ask the inevitable question, Lona.  How on earth did you manage toaccidentally reinstall a whole operating system?  ???

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 02:50 »
How on earth did you manage toaccidentally reinstall a whole operating system?

Well dave, I was trying to install windows setup files and clicked on windows setup exe thinking that was it and low and behold I re-installed the whole bloody system.  :-[

I have solved the greyed out box problem, Dave.

I went into taskbar and clicked logoff then rebooted and the logon screen came up. I hit enter and my password box became available again. :D

I couldn't see the forest for the trees and it was so simple in the end. ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum