Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: dumprep  (Read 765 times)

Offline jon996

dumprep
« on: October 07, 2004, 16:22 »
hey all...
i was jus lookin thru msconfig...As you do...and i was lookin in startup and i came across...

"dumprep 0 -k"  :o  

wot isit? and should i un tick it frm the start up..

::)jonnn :D
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:dumprep
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 16:33 »
I found this on another forum Jon :

This is part of the Windows Error Reporting Dump Reporting Tool, and it is present in both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. It shows as a startup item whose execution line usually reads as "KernelFaultCheck" %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

The switch or tool dumprep creates memory dump reports that you can send to Microsoft if you answer "Yes" when prompted to send such reports. This entry usually shows up for the first time after your system has experienced a Windows XP "dump" crash, or an Office XP or Internet Explorer 6 crash where you were prompted about sending the crash results to Microsoft.

It sounds like it shouldnt matter if its in startup or not as it doesnt seem to be harmful.
Why not untick it and see what happens, you can always tick it again if your pc does something it shouldnt afterwards  :)

Offline jon996

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 16:33 »
cheers Sandra ;) ;) always a help ;D ;D
rive it like you stole it!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 18:20 »
I would imagine disabling it will have much the same effect as disabling Error Reporting in System Properties.  I don't have that entry in my MSCONFIG startup list, and I have always had Error Reporting disabled.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum