Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: WinME DLL Hell!  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
WinME DLL Hell!
« on: October 19, 2004, 19:57 »
A friend has a problem with a missing dll in Windows ME.  The DLL in question is powrprof.dll.  I have sent her a copy of it, and she has tried to put it in C:\Windows\System, but says she is still getting the same error message, saying the DLL is missing.

I understand there is no System File Checker in ME, and no 'Repair' installation option, so how does she go about replacing this DLL, without resorting to a full format and re-installation?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Re:WinME DLL Hell!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 20:12 »
Is the .dll supposed to go in the \system folder?

I'm guessing this is a laptop? powrprof.dll sounds like a program to monitor battery life or something.

The .dll might have to go into the program folder.

I dunno, worth a try.  :-\
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 20:14 »
I don't know if you've passed by. But probably this will give some light to the problem Simon:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q188213/
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 20:25 »
oooo, PowerProfile.....I never thought of that,  ;D

Nice work joudi  :)
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 20:34 »
Thanks Joudi, but that relates to Win98.  ME doesn't have System File Checker (sfc.exe), so is it just a question of copying the file into the \system folder?  This is a desktop PC, not a laptop, and I spoke to another ME user last night, who confirmed that the powrprof.dll lived in the \system folder on her machine.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 21:19 »
Yup, ok, it's there. I checked my laptop.

Mine is 26kb if that matters. Also, it's supposed to load on startup.

I don't know if it matters whether or not it loads at startup if the file is corrupted. Usually it should though.
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 22:38 »
If you continue to have the problem, Simon, you could do a Run > MSCONFIG and remove the ticks from LoadPowerProfile from the startup items.  (It will probably appear twice.)  

I have always stopped it from running on all my machines (as I don't like unnecessary programs loading at startup) without any problems whatsoever.  If I'm going to be away from the PC for a long time, and I can't be bothered to shut down, I simply hit the sleep key on my keyboard, and then the wake up key when I return.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 00:48 »
That's worth considering, Dave.  I'm not even sure what LoadPowerProfile actually is.  Is it the same as Power Management in XP?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 00:54 »
Like Dave, I stop load power profile at startup as well. Dunno what it does but somebody told me to untick it on startup folder as it's not needed at startup.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 22:25 »

That's worth considering, Dave.  I'm not even sure what LoadPowerProfile actually is.  Is it the same as Power Management in XP?

AFAIK, Simon, it is exactly the same.  I have read numerous articles advising stopping it as it is a resource guzzler.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 23:52 »
Well, the bloody woman has now lost the dll I sent her, and has given up  ::) so it looks like I'll be getting the wretched thing to try to repair!  Do you think she'd notice if I accidentally put W2K on it instead?    ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum