Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wireless ADSL home network  (Read 988 times)

Offline Wade

Wireless ADSL home network
« on: October 22, 2004, 15:44 »
Hi,  I have a wireless adsl network using a wired router and a wireless access point with 2 computers using wireless adapters.  Everything works great except Neither computer can connect directly to the access point so I can enable wep encryption, change channels, etc.  I suspect the problem has something to do with ip addresses but I haven't a clue what to do.  Can somebody help me?  

Thank you very much.

Wade

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Wireless ADSL home network
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 16:15 »
Hi Wade and :welcome:

Can you tell us which make of access point and whether the wireless enabled pcs are on pcmcia, pci or hopefully not on usb ?
Also which pcs are running which OSs ?

Offline Wade

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 01:17 »
Hi Sandra and thanks.

My laptop is using a pcmcia card and my desktop is using a usb.  I live in Japan so my hardware is japanese.  My router is a Buffalo brand and my access point is an Icom.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 01:01 »
You say "Everything works great except Neither computer can connect directly to the access point".
Does this mean you can access the net and see both pcs and share files etc and that its just the encryption that you cant set up ?
Do you just get page not displayed when you type the access points IP address in your browser on both pc and laptop  ???

Offline Wade

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 01:43 »
In the back of my mind it has been nagging me that the computers aren't connected over the network and I can't swap files.  I wasn't sure that was abnormal.  I'm a little behind in my learning curve because of the complexity of the Japanese language. :o  I can access the internet from either computer but when the ip address is typed in the browser it takes me to the MSN page that says "we can't find it.  Check for availability".

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 01:48 »
I would say that if it connects to the net ok but not to the other pcs its usually the firewall blocking it.
Which OSs are your pcs using ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum