Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Website access  (Read 2769 times)

Offline grouchen

Website access
« on: January 19, 2003, 03:15 »
I am unable to access the ebay or half.com website from my home computer.  My daughter that lives in another state was able to access it. I can access all other websites.  Any ideas???  I have windows 98 and a cable connection.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Website access
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 03:30 »
Have you tried disabling your firewall and seeing if you can access these sites afterwards?
Sometimes my popup killer needs disabling for some sites too,have you got one?

Welcome to the forum by the way  :-*

Offline grouchen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 03:36 »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Don't know how to disable firewall.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 03:42 »
Is it built into a router or is it a seperate one such as Zone Alarm or Norton?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 10:33 »
:welcome: Grouchen!

Often it's worth trying again later, or even the next day, and you could find it's OK.

If not, and if Sandra's suggestion isn't sucessful, do you know how to clear your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies?  This often works wonders to clear blockages to certain websites.

In Internet Explorer, open the 'Tools' menu, then 'Internet Options'.  You should see two buttons, 'Delete Files', and 'Delete Cookies'.  Click each of them, then 'OK' to confirm.  It does mean you'll have to log in again to any websites that 'remember' you, so make sure you know your user name & passwords to any sites where your details are stored, i.e. shopping sites, forums, etc.

Hope that helps!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 11:22 »
Hi Grouchen, Welcome to PC-Pals  :D

Simon is right, sometimes it pays just to leave it alone for a few hours and try again later. ISPs oftem make changes to their routing tables and make mistakes which stops certain sites from being visible. Usually these faults get fixed pretty quickly.

Have you tried phoning your ISP and asking them whether they have problems with those particular web sites?

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 11:50 »
Hi There,

Deleting temp internet files and history in the >Options< tab like Simon says is worth a go, and remember to delete >Off Line Content< as well.

If things have been altered like Adept say's, it means your saved options that point you at that site are wrong and need reseting. I bet both sites are saved in your Favourites folder, so remove them and retry, and once you are able to connect to those sites again, add them back to Favourites. I myself have had that problem,incidently both times on sites that need to be secure for money transactions purposes.

Oh and  :welcome:
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline grouchen

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 16:24 »
Thanks everyone for your replies...I tried everything suggested except for the firewall thing. I don't know how to disable it. I have AVG Anti-virus.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2003, 16:31 »
Welcome to the forum Grouchen. :) You don't say where you are from but sometimes, eg, ebay are extremely busy at week-ends, so as Adept says you should try again perhaps when things are quieter. Just think of all the money you will safe yourself if you can't bid for anything ;)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2003, 16:38 »
Do you know what kind you have,as it will normally be seperate to your anti virus software even if like me you use Norton AV and Norton Personal Firewall.
You said that you are on cable does this mean you are on Broadband and possibly using a router with its own built in firewall or are you on Dial Up  ???
On most Firewalls there will be an icon in the taskbar at the bottom right hand side of your screen near to the clock.If you click on it,it should give you the option to disable it.If you can connect to the troublesome sites in that way you can then enable it again by clicking on the icon again.
If this is the case then you should be able to configure it to allow access to the sites that are being denied to you now.
If its built into your router you will have to let us know which one it is,make and model etc  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum